VMware Communities
cheriesgeek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Workstation 8.03 not installing

2012-05-03T14:36:58.395-05:00| vthread-3| I120: Log for VMware Workstation pid=12107 version=8.0.3 build=build-703057 option=Release
2012-05-03T14:36:58.395-05:00| vthread-3| I120: The process is 64-bit.
2012-05-03T14:36:58.395-05:00| vthread-3| I120: Host codepage=UTF-8 encoding=UTF-8
2012-05-03T14:36:58.395-05:00| vthread-3| I120: Host is Linux 3.2.0-24-generic Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I was able to get a patch to work for 8.02 on my updated Ubuntu install.  VMWare offered me an update and the new update, 8.03, will notinstall.  I have the same break point in this version I fixed with this patch. http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/2025997-86343/vmware802fixlinux320.tar.gz   The patch was found in this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/message/2030083#2030083 Is there an other updated patch?  the problem appars to be in the vmnet module.

jay

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renden
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I fixed mine by modifying the patch script (patch-modules_3.2.0.sh)

fpatch=vmware3.2.0.patch
vmreqver=8.0.2
plreqver=4.0.2

To:

fpatch=vmware3.2.0.patch
vmreqver=8.0.3
plreqver=4.0.2

and delete the old patch flag:

sudo rm /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/.patched

Then run the patch as usual:

sudo ./patch-modules_3.2.0.sh vmware3.2.0.patch

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
renden
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I fixed mine by modifying the patch script (patch-modules_3.2.0.sh)

fpatch=vmware3.2.0.patch
vmreqver=8.0.2
plreqver=4.0.2

To:

fpatch=vmware3.2.0.patch
vmreqver=8.0.3
plreqver=4.0.2

and delete the old patch flag:

sudo rm /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/.patched

Then run the patch as usual:

sudo ./patch-modules_3.2.0.sh vmware3.2.0.patch

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi  cheriesgeek

Welcome to the community .

In Mycase its got resolev through below patch only.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2030083#2030083.

Life is   never easy for those who dream"
0 Kudos
jprog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 (3.2.0-24-generic 64-bit) and Workstation 8.0.3

I modified the patch similar to renden to run it with 8.0.3, but if failed

CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/vmcore/moduleloop.o

In file included from /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/iommu.c:28:0:
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/iommu.h:50:53: warning: ‘struct PassthruIOMMUMap’ declared inside parameter list [enabled by default]
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/iommu.h:50:53: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want [enabled by default]
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/iommu.c:47:44: error: ‘SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED’ undeclared here (not in a function)
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/iommu.c:70:16: error: unknown type name ‘PassthruIOMMUMap’
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/iommu.c: In function ‘IOMMUUnregisterDeviceInt’:

0 Kudos
jprog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BTW, I switched to the Technology Preview and this works under Ubuntu 12.0.4 64-bit.

(http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/workstationtp2012)

It's a pity that we have that problem again with Vmware Workstation and Ubuntu. Hope that Vmware can fix that fast and release 8.0.4 fast to run under 64-bit Ubuntu 12.0.4

T.

0 Kudos
gnutzmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks renden, this fully worked for me.

0 Kudos
cheriesgeek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

renden,

A great many thanks.  I was shutting down and had not looked at the script for an easy fix.  I appreciate the tip on the .patch file to let me run after the mod.  I am up and running again.

0 Kudos
Jhesketh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got it working with the patch by changing the vmreqver=8.0.X near the top of the script in renden's patch to 8.0.3. Once done compiled without errors.

0 Kudos
batequeixo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It worked like charm! Thanks.

0 Kudos
tvg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the solution.

It worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
felitin2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, thanks...that was very clever, simple and 100% effective.  It works beautiful....

0 Kudos
pkalyanrao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Renden... Its worked for me.

0 Kudos
muetstem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you get the warning "Sorry, this script is only for VMWare WorkStation 8.0.3 or VMWare Player 4.0.2" when you used the advice of Renden.

Please change

vmver=`vmware-installer -l 2>/dev/null | awk '/vmware/{print $1substr($2,1,5)}'`

into

vmver=`vmware-installer -l 2>/dev/null | awk '/vmware-workstation/{print $1substr($2,1,5)}'`

else you get vmver=vmware-vmrce.x.p vmware-workstation8.0.3

and you want to get  vmver=vmware-workstation8.0.3

after you changed:

fpatch=vmware3.2.0.patch
vmreqver=8.0.2
plreqver=4.0.2

into

fpatch=vmware3.2.0.patch
vmreqver=8.0.3
plreqver=4.0.2

0 Kudos
Pavlinux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No stupud changes, no lamerz scripts.

Just extract and run! :smileysilly:

http://pavlinux.ru/vmware/8.0.3/

0 Kudos
tejaaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS in VMware Workstation 8.0.2 without any issues...

Cheers!!

http://mytricks.in/2012/05/guide-how-to-install-ubuntu-12-04-lts-in-vmware-workstation-8.html

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you completely missed the problem here - folks have trouble to install Workstation on Ubuntu hosts - not Ubuntu inside a VM

0 Kudos
srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Does anyone know if this fixed in version 8.0.4 that I see is now available?  The release notes made no mention of it.  I'm running version 8.0.2 on Ubuntu 11.04.  I'm thinking of upgrading both Ubuntu and VMWare, but I've been holding off until the bugs are fixed.  Also, does the bug still exist where if you install VMWare Workstaiton or Player on version 12 of Ubuntu the startup and shutdown script order gets scrambled?  I had that problem a few months ago when I tried to install 8.0.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 and had to restore from a backup.

0 Kudos
sanitycheck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

+1

I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit with Workstation 8.0.3, soon to upgrade to 8.0.4.  I won't upgrade to 12.04 until VMWare formally approves a 12.04 64-bit host.  I can't afford the risk of the published work-arounds not working to get Workstation running after the upgrade.

I hope VMWare considers starting their development for host support of new Ubuntu releases earlier in the release cycle.  I would choose to wait a few weeks before upgrading Ubuntu anyway, to let the Ubuntu team sort out any problems, but Workstation support always seems to be the last roadblock.  On the other hand, I'm sure Windows hosts would experience similar upgrade delays if Microsoft made sweeping changes every 6 months the way Ubuntu does.

0 Kudos