VMware Communities
mfeller
Contributor
Contributor

USB support in WS9, improved for WS10?

I have WS9 on a Win 7 64-bit host. 

My laptop has one USB 2.0 port, and the rest are USB 3.0.  A USB 2.0 device plugged into a USB 3.0 port will not be seen by a Win 7 guest.  My workaround has been to rely on the USB2.0 port, using a hub when more than one device is needed in the guest.  Lately, that has been shakier in terms of things sometimes working, sometimes not.  (I suspect recent Windows updates have had an impact, but cannot be sure)

I am considering options to improve the situation, and have a couple of questions:

1) Would I have any better luck using a Linux host with WS9?  At least in terms of the USB2.0 port working more solidly?  My experience with an older rev of workstation (WS7?) was that USB tended to behave better with a Linux host.

2) Are things improved in WS10, in terms of flexibility and reliability?  For flexibility...I mean more than common devices such as flash drives and webcams.  I have lab tools that require a straight connection to the guest.  If WS10 makes assumptions about what may or may not be connected, and tries to "help", it doubt it will work.

Thanks,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies