VMware Communities
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

USB > Centronics Printer doens't print

This is rather strange:

I'm setting up Windows 7/64 on my machine for the 7th time now for the last year. Whenever, after installing VMware Workstation and running a couple of VMs, I try to print on my old laser printer, connected using a Centronics > USB bridge cable, from that host OS the printer won't print anymore.

I believe it's got something to do with Workstation because I don't have much more installed than Workstation, PowerDVD and CorelDRAW. The problem started after I've bought and used Workstation.

Thanks a lot for enlightening me!

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

does the Centronics > USB bridge cable install a driver that replaces the USB-root-hub ?

Can you print again if you disable vmusbarbservice and hcmon ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm sorry for replying so late. I wasn't at my home computer for the last couple of days...

Wow... You are right: After stopping vmusbarbservice I could print again.

I can't tell if the USB bridge cable installed a new driver. I can't tell the difference. The cable was connected since I installed Windows 7/64.

What would you suggest?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

What would you suggest?

Upgrade to Workstation 6.5.5 - that does NOT use this new vmusbarbservice which is the reason for the 500% increased amount of issues with USB since Workstation 7.

Older versions of WS 6.5 had trouble with network when running on Windows 7 - but this versions seems to have fixed that.

I uninstalled WS 7 on my Windows 7 64bit host and now use 6.5 again.

As I am not aware of any new features in WS 7 this does not feel like a downgrade - not at all.

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That sounds like you are quite frustrated with the progress and overall capabilities of the new version.

Until now I believed that you in particular were having kind of a "direct wire" to VMware development staff and where able to influence things?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

That sounds like you are quite frustrated with the progress and overall capabilities of the new version.

Yes - I am. I am not worried at all about new .0 versions being a bit buggy.

4.0 was quite buggy, 5.0 had problems and so I am used to that. But this time the updates show no tendency to improve things and that worries me.

Right now I would tell users - if you really want to use WS 7 then use 7.0.1 - I am worried about that Smiley Sad

Until now I believed that you in particular were having kind of a "direct wire" to VMware development staff and where able to influence things?

Oh dear Smiley Wink - I wish you were right ... but my "influence" is only useful to get a quick reply to urgent issues we discuss here.

0 Kudos