VMware Communities
sgchowar
Contributor
Contributor

USB devices can no longer be connected to VM after workstation update

Previously I had VMware workstation 12 (can't remember specific version) where I had two VM system (both windows 7) and I was able to connect/disconnect any USB devices without issue, so they can be accessed in the respective VM. 

VMware workstation then prompted me to update to the latest version of 12.5.8. Immediately after this finished i was no longer able to connect to USB devices. I get the error "Error connecting remote USB device: Cannot connect the device "Realtek...": a connection error occurs"

This occurs for any USB devices, USB flash drives, USB network adapter. So it seems to be an issue with USB devices in general.

I have tried to debug this by looking at live USB atrbitration service logs. I can see the service creates logs when plugging/unplugging USB devices (no errors seems fine) and the device appears in VMware workstation in the bottom right greyed out, but when i try to right click and connect i get the error i mentioned inside the VM. No logs are produced by the service mentioned, nothing at all.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I had a look in the VMware.log files, and cannot see any usb connect issues. I have enabled additional logging to occurs, but I still do not see anything to do with USB connection issues.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please provide some specs for both host and guest(s).

0 Kudos