VMware Communities
Bloomingdale
Contributor
Contributor

USB devices and Workstation Pro

I'm trying my best to wrap my head around how Workstation interacts with the host's USB controllers but I have yet to find a good solution to the issue I'm trying to solve. What I would like to do is connect any USB device plugged into a specific port to a particular predefined VM of my choosing without having to either complete a prompt or access the host environment to configure the new device.

The goal is to achieve complete isolation of the guest system while granting it access to a couple USB ports with no possibility of any device plugged into those ports interacting with the host itself. The ports themselves are optically isolated from the host so the only remaining hurdle is in software.

If anyone has any bright ideas how I might be able to work my way around limitations in Workstation by instead configuring virtual USB ports within the Windows host to pass through to the VM permanently regardless of the connection status of physical media I'm all ears.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dkuhn1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm interested in this as well. It's unfortunate that there hasn't been any feedback in almost 5 months. My specific use case involves connecting a USB device that will need to re-enumerate after being configured. Since the VID:PID isn't static, it would be convenient if I could automatically connect any device plugged into the specified port regardless of the VID:PID. Instead, I can connect the device initially, but the configuration fails because after the device re-enumerates, it's automatically disconnected; presumably because the VID:PID has changed. When the configuration fails, the VID:PID reverts back to the original value, so I can't figure out what VID:PID to specify to keep it attached in the configured state.

0 Kudos