VMware Communities
varnk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

USB device does not re-connect successfully after it is power-cycled

I am using VMware Workstation 9.0.4.

I have an ongoing problem with certain USB devices that fail to re-connect to the VM when they are power-cycled.

I initially connect the USB device to the VM by selecting it in the Removable Devices list.  The device connects successfully and I am able to access it.  However, if I power-cycle the USB device, Workstation sometimes fails to re-connect to the device.  I get an error message on the bottom of the screen that says, "The connection to the USB device 'xxxxxxx' was unsuccessful"  (where 'xxxxxxx'is the device name).

The only way to recover from this is to go into the Removable Devices list and disconnect and reconnect the device.  This is very annoying.  We are running automated tests using the VM.  Part of the test is to power-cycle and/or reset the USB module that is being tested.  When we do this, we fail to re-connect to the USB device because Workstation had the error described above.  I've tried using the device quirks settings in the vmx file and it does not seem to help.  Can anyone offer details on how to resolve this issue?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for reporting the issue. I can reproduce the issue and filed a bug to track it.

0 Kudos