VMware Communities
godamuss
Contributor
Contributor

USB WIFI range ext not working

I have a hawkings hdwn300 wifi range extender , it works ok, I would like to use my HOW2, but that seems impossible

when I boot up BT5 it works , but it does not show any of the hotspots in the area.

the WICD manager gave me an error about the DCHP.

this never happened before when I used it as a bootdisk.

the question is -

how do I get BT5 to recognize this UDB wifi range extender.

I looked at other posts and I couldn't find an answer to my question.

I do not belive there is a Linux install for this program. but like I previously

stated it used to show up when BT5 was used as a bootdisk.

running win7x64 ultimate

vm - backtrack5r3

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMware only presents a Wired Ethernet Adapter to a Virtual Machine.  If you want direct access to Wi-Fi from within the Guests OS you need to provide your own USB Wi-Fi Network Adapter and connect it to the Virtual Machine.

Have a look at Virtual Machine Features and Specifications and more specifically, Virtual Machine Ethernet Card Support and Virtual Machine Networking Support.

0 Kudos
godamuss
Contributor
Contributor

error123.jpg

I read the links you posted. they didn't seem to help much. this is the error. I don't want to sound redundant,

but is there a known fix for this ? something I could try ? it does recognize the device, it just doesn't seem to

be connected right.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well at the risk of being redundant!... VMware only presents a Wired Ethernet Adapter to a Virtual Machine.  If you want direct access to Wi-Fi from within the Guests OS you need to provide your own USB Wi-Fi Network Adapter and connect it to the Virtual Machine.

Have a look at Virtual Machine Features and Specifications and more specifically, Virtual Machine Ethernet Card Support and Virtual Machine Networking Support.

BTW Did you even check the wicd log for errors as the message suggested!? Smiley Wink

0 Kudos