VMware Communities
ID_Robotics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

USB Passthrough not working on Windows 10?

Hello,

I recently migrated to a new laptop, moving multiple working Virtual Machines from a Windows 8.1 system to my new Windows 10 system (Both were Home versions, not Professional or Ultimate).

USB passthrough has completely stopped working for any device that is not removable storage, such as USB flash drives. 

The devices in question that no longer function are USB serial communications devices.

All of these devices worked flawlessly in the SAME VIRTUAL MACHINE when Windows 8.1 was the host.  Now nothing works except removable storage.

This problem appears on my Windows 7 x64 Professional Guest as well as my older XP Pro Guests.

The devices are not listed on the 'Removable Devices' tab.

There seems to be multiple complaints of this issue on various techie sites without resolution, though one claims that uninstalling VMWare and reinstalling solved the problem, in my case i started with a clean install on a new PC.

I tried upgrading my Workstation 11 to Workstation 12.5 Pro, to no avail.

I did upgrade a clone of one of the Windows 7 x64 guest systems once 12.5 was installed, this also had no effect.

I tried installing USB 3.0 support to the guest, including installing the Intel driver package.

I'm at wit's end with this...has anyone experienced this and would be able to provide a solution ?

Pete

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ID_Robotics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update:

OK after weeks of living with this problem I made this work totally by accident.

It appears the problem could be related to hardware; my laptop has USB 3.1 ports on the left side and USB 3.0 on the right side.

I typically use the left side ports when connecting to equipment for programming.

Sooooo...if it is helpful to anyone else, be aware USB 3.1 appears to be unsupported.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ID_Robotics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update:

OK after weeks of living with this problem I made this work totally by accident.

It appears the problem could be related to hardware; my laptop has USB 3.1 ports on the left side and USB 3.0 on the right side.

I typically use the left side ports when connecting to equipment for programming.

Sooooo...if it is helpful to anyone else, be aware USB 3.1 appears to be unsupported.

0 Kudos