VMware Communities
RiverRat
Contributor
Contributor

USB KVM Support in VMWARE 7

I recently upgraded to VMWare Workstation 7. I have four physical machines and an additional 5 virtual machines on a four port Belkin USB KVM. Since the upgrade, any switch between physical hosts causes loss of keyboard and mouse access to both physical machine and the VMs on it. This has rendered the KVM useless...which is a fairly disastrous state. At this point it looks as though I'll have to go back to 6.5 to make this configuration workable. Is anyone else having this issue?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
jlawler817
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm the same issue using v7.0.1 build-227600. quite annoying.

0 Kudos
sevilnatas
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. Having to reset the box in the middle of sessions is causing lost data and vmdk corruptions. This is unworkable. If there is no fix for this asap, gonna be forced tp go to another solution. Please help, I don't want to leave.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

I'm not having any issue with an Iogear DVI USB KVM (4 port)... http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1204/

I did have a Belkin KVM in the past, but had other problems with it (not supporting the resolution of my 24" LCD's) so I had to switch to one that did support the resolutions...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
jlawler817
Contributor
Contributor

My issue is actually with a TrendNet TK-409. The only workaround I found was to use terminal services instead of the local console...

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Honestly, I'm not surprised you have problems with that KVM... For $65.99 (MSRP) I wouldn't expect it to be able to do all that much... https://www.trendnet.com/store/products/proddetail.asp?prod=180_TK-409K&cat=105

I did see that you have drivers you need to use for some versions of Windows (XP and Vista) with your KVM... I prefer KVM's that require no drivers at all (the iogear box needs no drivers at all for a wide range of client OS's).

I don't go for the cheapest KVM that I could use, I go for the one that will do the job correctly now, and for years to come. So I spend more on the device, at least I don't have issues with it when they could have been avoided.

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
sevilnatas
Contributor
Contributor

At least in my case (and I suspect in others) the issue is not the price of the kvm but vmware's ability to handle switching back and forth between machines. The specific issue I am experiencing is that when I move my cursor to the edge of the VM window slowly and pass outside the window the KVM is tripped and control is passed to the other machine. When I click the button to bring control back to the machine hosting the VMs its a no go.

As a side note, I do not use the KVM for the monitors so I know the mouse and keyboard are not responding and this all did work fine in Workstation 6.5 so it shouldn't suddenly be the fault of the kvm.

My kvm requires no drivers and plenty of money was paid for it.... anyone have any helpfull input?

k.

0 Kudos
RiverRat
Contributor
Contributor

This problem occured after upgrading from VMWare 6.5 to 7. I did NOT have the problem with this KVM prior to that upgrade. Is there anyone from VMWare on these threads? If so, can you give me some sign that anyone at VMWare cares about this issue?

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

If you're just using the KVM to pass keyboard and mouse input over to different systems I wouldn't. Instead, try out Synergy KM. I used it for a time to share keyboard/mouse input between two systems that had dedicated displays, but I didn't want to have multiple keyboards and mice for.

I don't think there's any actual issue with the VMware product, more likely how the KVM takes the switch command between systems. IF your KVM allows, try switching the hotkey combination away from the default. Mine uses a double scroll lock tap followed by a number (from the main keys) 1-4 to change where it's connected to. I switch between my two main systems often, sometimes running VMware Workstation 7.x...

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
sevilnatas
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to take away points for "unhelpful" or "incorrect" answers because I can use that feature right about now.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

No idea what your actual configuration is like but this is how mine is, where there is no issue.

System 1: Dell Precision Workstation 490 Windows 7 Pro x64 with eVGA nVidia GeForce 8800GTX card, dual Quad Core Xeon E5345 processors, 16GB RAM, etc.

System 2: Dell XPS 720 Windows Pro x74 with single Intel Core 2 Quad processor, dual eVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 280 in SLI mode, 8GB RAM, etc.

iogear DVI USB KVM connected to two Dell UltraSharp 24" LCD's (1920x1200 resolution each). KVM directly connected to display on the left. Display on the right is connected to both systems secondard DVI connection. Logitech (wired) keyboard and (cordless) mouse connected to KVM in designated ports.

With both systems fired up, I can run VMware Workstation 7.1 (on the PWS 490, which is my main system) in either a window or full screen and scroll over to the display on the left without issue. Doesn't matter how fast, or slow, I move the mouse, and how long I left the cursor linger on the border of the WS window, no automatic switching to the second system happens.

Nothing adverse happened when I was running XP x64 on the PWS 490 and either Vista or Windows 7 on the XPS 720 under either WS 6.5.x or 7.x... I'm not using any exotic software, nor am I running a stripped down OS on either. I typically run the vSphere Client on the PWS 490 as well as Workstation 7.1 when I need to. That is on top of normal apps such as the Adobe CS4 suite, Office 2007 suite, etc...

Try changing the key combination used by the KVM box to change the displays and see what happens there. I know some use the num lock key to initiate, but you can (typically) change the command to suite your needs (software, hardware, or personal preference). At least you can on the decent KVM boxes.

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
jlawler817
Contributor
Contributor

I can't change the NUM LOCK sequence on my KVM, but I think the question is why would workstation send that in the first place. Also, if it has to send something can we change that to be something else (that wont interfere with standard KVM operation). It's much easier to change software than hardware.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Is there a way to take away points for "unhelpful" or "incorrect" answers because I can use that feature right about now.

How many fingers am I holding up???

Just because you don't like the truth, doesn't make it any less true...

You're 'issue' is not commonplace, nor is it all that important/critical... I would highly doubt that any VMware tech/engineer would be able to replicate your specific issue either.

I've been running with dual displays, KVM switches, etc. for years and never once did I have any 'issue' like what you're talking about. I've also never heard of anyone else, that I know, have worked with, etc. having the issue either. No matter how good a product is, you can never please 100% of the people. Especially with some people having severely whacked-out configurations. Combine that with how some people go for the cheapest product they can find to do a task, not caring that one that's a bit more has zero issues, and you'll always have unhappy people.

Of course, it can also be the keyboard/mouse combination (or either part) that's the real issue. Never thought of that I bet.

Have either of you bothered to try using WS 7.1 yet?????

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
sevilnatas
Contributor
Contributor

So far you have not actually offered any advice. As far as I can see, you have replied more times than the people having the issue and all you can offer is 'my setup is the is the sh!t and obviously you guys don't buy quality stuff like I do so the issue must be all in your head'. Please go troll some other thread.

0 Kudos
sevilnatas
Contributor
Contributor

So far you have not actually offered any advice. As far as I can see, you have replied more times than the people having the issue and all you can offer is 'my setup is the is the sh!t and obviously you guys don't buy quality stuff like I do so the issue must be all in your head'. Please go troll some other thread.

0 Kudos
sevilnatas
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
sevilnatas
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
sevilnatas
Contributor
Contributor

By the way where is this WS 7.1 you speak of. All I have been able to find is WS 7.0.1. Pointing us towards the WS 7.1? Now that would actually be helpful.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

By the way where is this WS 7.1 you speak of. All I have been able to find is WS 7.0.1. Pointing us towards the WS 7.1? Now that would actually be helpful.

FYI: VMWare Workstation 7.1 is currently in beta. I don't know if you can access the beta forums (which have the download links) from the All Communities drop down unless you're part of the beta program. You can try signing up for the beta program, if you're interested.

http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/betainterest

0 Kudos
sevilnatas
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, that makes sense why I couldn't find it. Thanks asatoran.

0 Kudos