VMware Communities
mayfiejc
Contributor
Contributor

USB Devices will not connect

Hello all,

I'm using VMWare Workstation 9 and I'm having an issue when I plug in USB devices. When I plug in a jump drive or any USB device when I try to take control of it it says "The device is currently in use." I have tried several different things none of which have been successful. With the jump drive I have used the "Safely Remove" tool which proves that mothing is using the USB but it still will not let me connect to it. I have used the same VM on another machine and it works fine so I know it is an issue with my Host machine. The Host machine will connect with USB devices just fine. The host OS is Windows 7 and the VM OS is Windows XP. What should I try to do?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

which is your host machine? Windows or linux?

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
mayfiejc
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry I changed the question above, its still related to the same problem but it may take you in another direction. I included the answer to your question in the information above.

0 Kudos
Amanda63
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

please install vmware tool if not

and recheck settings as per below. http://linhost.info/2011/06/disable-vmware-workstation-player-from-automatically-connecting-new-usb-...

If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me.
0 Kudos
mayfiejc
Contributor
Contributor

Where do you get the VMWare Tools? The settings are the same as what it shows.

0 Kudos
md_demmer
Contributor
Contributor

What I have found (because I have the same issue) is this:  Windows 7 64 bit apparently does not support USB3.0 Fully.  So from what I've read and don't quote me on this (it's been a while since I've looked into this and I am about to continue my quest) is that most new USB3.0 drivers are set to include a file that automatically check the device to see "at what level" it operates.

As quoted in Wikipedia (@ Host controller interface (USB, Firewire) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

"Extensible Host Controller Interface (XHCI) is the newest host controller standard that improves speed, power efficiency and virtualization over its predecessors The goal was also to define a USB host controller to replace UHCI/OHCI/EHCI. It supports all USB device speeds (USB 3.0 SuperSpeed, USB 2.0 Low-, Full-, and High-speed, USB 1.1 Low- and Full-speed).

So because this is a New Host Controller Windows 7 from what I am told does not support this.  So the fix is somehow related to forcing Workstation to use a 2.0 UHCI controller even if the device is USB 30 or 3.1

I hope this points everyone in the right Direction

Also see this KB Post: VMware KB: Host and guest OS USB 3.0 and virtual xHCI support with Workstation 9

0 Kudos
md_demmer
Contributor
Contributor

I found more information from VMWare is regards to USB 3.0 and Windows 7......and it's not pretty.

Windows 7 host OS or Windows XP host OS:

On Windows 7 and Windows XP hosts, USB 3.0 support of Workstation in the guest operating system is experimental and limited to specific configurations of USB 3.0 hardware and drivers.

A USB 3.0 device attached to the host is only known to work in guest operating systems with specific configurations of USB 3.0 host controllers using the NEC/RENESAS chipset and driver on the host. To support USB 3.0 device functionality in a guest operating system, the NEC USB 3.0 host controller and driver must be properly installed on the Windows host.

• Known supported USB 3.0 xHCI controller host configurations:

• NEC/RENESAS μPD720200 chipset:
    • PCI Express USB 3.0 cards used in testing:
      • StarTech.com PEXUSB3S2 - PCI Express - 2 ports
      • Buffalo IFC-PCIE2U3S2 - PCI Express - 2 ports
      • Western Digital 4060-705065-002 - PCI Express - 2 ports
    • Other configurations of the NEC/RENESAS chipset, driver, and firmware are not sufficiently tested and may not function as expected.

• Known unsupported USB 3.0 xHCI controller host configurations:

• Any USB 3.0 host controller Chipset other than the NEC/RENESAS chipset mentioned above.

For example, Fresco Logic FL1009, FL1000, and other USB 3.0 adapters such as Etron, ASMedia, Intel, TI, VIA, etc are not supported. USB 3.0 devices attached to these host controllers are not properly identified by Workstation to connect or function properly as a USB 3.0 device in the guest OS.

To use a USB device with these host controllers, attach the device to the host's USB 2.0 port to use it in USB 2.0 mode.

So I don't know if everyone else is in the same boat as me and my Toshiba Qosmio 870, where I fall into the last "Known unsupported USB 3.0" because I have an Intel chipset.  I have had my IT manager fix this issue and like a dummy I back dated a USB port while trying to Fix another issue and I'm back to a dead USB Port.  So it is possible to fix this issue it's just not an easy fix. 

0 Kudos
md_demmer
Contributor
Contributor

Also look into this helpful insight into this issue

Good luck to everyone.  A nice oversight on Microsoft's part and we all now have a bit of work to make things right.

http://virtualizationmaximus.com/2013/01/08/intel-xhci-usb-3-0-controller-usb-passthrough-with-vmwar...

0 Kudos