VMware Communities
mfeller
Contributor
Contributor

USB Devices no longer bypassing Win7 Host OS in WS9.02

I am using a Win7 Professional Host, with Win7 guests. 

Previously, I have been able to use USB devices (for embedded s/w dev) that the host OS knows nothing about, and have easily connected them to the guest OS's (where I would have the necessary drivers and other tools).

Now, the Host OS complains about not finding a driver, and the USB devices never make it through to the guest OS.

Any idea what has changed, or how to get back to the former behavior?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarVista
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you install the vmware tools on your guest OS

Yours,
Mar Vista

0 Kudos
mfeller
Contributor
Contributor

The tools are installed, and the VM guest is not changed since when things worked better.

My suspicion is that a Windows update on the host OS broke something.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

mfeller wrote: Now, the Host OS complains about not finding a driver, and the USB devices never make it through to the guest OS.

If the Host cannot see the device then the Guest cannot either and this is probably not a VMware issue.  So, fix issue with the Host first! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mfeller
Contributor
Contributor

The Windows Host sees the device.  It attempts to install a driver, and failing that, leaves it as an "unknown device", but also does not pass it along to the guest OS.

I don't care, and it did not used to matter that the host OS did not have the right driver for the USB device.  It would show up as an unknown device, but would still be made available to the guest.  As long as the guest OS has access, all is good.

0 Kudos
dantheman59
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with WS10.  My host can't see any of my USB drives.  I can use them in the guests after I connect them, but even when the USB drives are not connected to any of the guest VMs, I can't see it in the host.  I did not have this problem with WS9.

0 Kudos