VMware Communities
decker12
Contributor
Contributor

USB Device Problems, also iPhone Compatibility?

Quick question here, hopefully it's a quick answer.

I have a brand new fresh Workstation 6.0.2, running on XP Pro SP2 (we'll call it PJL-XP). The guest OS is a brand new, fresh copy of XP Pro SP2 (we'll call it VM-XP)

First of all, I can't get any USB devices to work in the guest OS. When I plug in a USB flash drive, it shows up fine in PJL-XP, but doesn't show up at all in VM-XP. It doesn't matter if I have focus on VM-XP when I plug it in. I have tried several USB devices, all of them pop up first and without problems in PJL-XP, but never to VM-XP. I understand that the USB device can only work on either the host or the guest OS, but it's like PJL-XP always "grabs" it first without giving VM-XP a chance. Yes, USB Controller is enabled and both checkboxes turned on in the VM Settings.

So that's the first thing to figure out. It is eventually leading me to the real problem and the real scenario I want to solve, which may or may not work with VMWare anyway:

My wife is getting an iPhone for Christmas, but she doesn't have a computer of her own. I refuse to install iTunes for Windows on my regular PC (where I am typing this message from, as well as where I do video editing, audio editing, basically all sorts of stuff that iTunes likes to take over and mess with). My solution was to setup a quick and easy VM of Windows XP for my wife which will contain shared folder access to our music, and of course it's own installation of iTunes which is what she needs to synch with the iPhone.

However, if I can't get the VM to recognize even a simple USB thumb drive, I have serious doubts that it'll recognize the iPhone cradle and sync to it.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
decker12
Contributor
Contributor

Bumping this because I think the USB part is a very simple question that should be easily solvable, yet I cannot seem to do it.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Use VMware Workstation 6.0.3 with your iPhone

0 Kudos