VMware Communities
BlueCola
Contributor
Contributor

USB Device / ACR122u RFID reader 'is currently in use'

This week I bought a new laptop, a Dell Inspiron 15R. I did install VMware workstation 9 and opened up a couple of my VMs. Everything worked perfectly and run smooth, expect connecting removable devices. On my ubuntu machine which I use to read/write to RFID (mifare) card's,

Technical information:

-Dell Inspiron 15r (i7, 8GB ram)

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

-VMware Workstation 9.0

-I only have USB 3.0 ports

I'm getting pretty frustrated about connecting an USB device to my VM. Since a couple of days I'm trying to connect my ACS ACR122u RFID reader to my Ubuntu 11 machine, which I want to use for RFID purposes. Unfortunately I can't connect it. Everytime I try to connect the reader I get the following message "The device is currently in use". Also my Creative Fatal1ty headset, and logitech unyfing receiver (I don't know why I would connect it anyway, but just for testing) won't connect with the same error.

I tried many, many things and spent more than just a couple of hours going trough KB's article's, community discussions and google results. For example, I tried all the 'solutions' of this KB article, tried all the different drivers for the reader on my host, tried all the possible combinations of USB settings in the bios, and I also tried to kill all the processes (with Process Explorer) which had anything to do with smartcard's or the reader. Also disabling device's in Device manager doesn't work. Whatever I do, I still get the same error.

I also complete uninstalled VMware (clean) and reinstall it again. Did the same with workstation 8, didn't maked any difference.

Attached is the logfile of booting the machine, try to connect the reader, and power off the machine and a image of my Device Manager with the reader and all USB-hubs.

Does anyone have an idea of what else I can try?

Thanks in advantage,

BlueCola

27 Replies
harmandeep
Contributor
Contributor

My System is Dell 14R 5420(laptop) equipped only with USB3.0 Ports - and the way i was able to Get USBPassThrough working in W7Sp1x64 with Workstation 9.0.1 is as follows:

1) Remove Previous versions of Intel USB (xhci) drivers and restart System

2) Install Intel xhci verison 1.0.6.245 Drivers using DEVICE MANAGER --- and not the Installer Binary Image

If i use installer - USBPassThrough won't work and if Installed "Intel USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" and "Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub" Device Drivers using Device Manager(devmgmt.msc) interface --- then all Works.

USBPassThrough tested with WLAN, WebCam, Bluetooth, USB Mouse and USB Flash Drives (all tested Devices are USB2.0 capable only)

Blog: http://VirtualizationMaximus.com | OS ... VirTuaLiZaTioN ... MaxiMuS ... Fair, Good, Better, Best
0 Kudos
koenigs
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunetely, updates didn't work for me 😞

Haramandeep Singh Saggu a écrit:

My System is Dell 14R 5420(laptop) equipped only with USB3.0 Ports - and the way i was able to Get USBPassThrough working in W7Sp1x64 with Workstation 9.0.1 is as follows:

1) Remove Previous versions of Intel USB (xhci) drivers and restart System

2) Install Intel xhci verison 1.0.6.245 Drivers using DEVICE MANAGER --- and not the Installer Binary Image

If i use installer - USBPassThrough won't work and if Installed "Intel USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" and "Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub" Device Drivers using Device Manager(devmgmt.msc) interface --- then all Works.

USBPassThrough tested with WLAN, WebCam, Bluetooth, USB Mouse and USB Flash Drives (all tested Devices are USB2.0 capable only)

Please can you be more specific? Do I have to remove just "Intel USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" or also "Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub"?

What is the exact way to install drivers using device manager? because when I remove previous versions, they aren't displayed anymore, and I don't find how to specify new driver path to install.

This problem is really starting to make me angry, moreover I can't make a dual boot because my disk is GPT style (with EFI partition) so it's not possible to install windows 8.

0 Kudos
rocklinsuv
Contributor
Contributor

This is how  I solve the problem -_-!

Update didn't work for me, well, at least it worked immediately after update. But after reboot, it didn't work.

So, here's the ultimate solution!!!!

Go to your control panel, and UNINSTALL the "Intel USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller"

At this time, you still have the driver (maybe usb2.0), and VMware will recognize the hub.

0 Kudos
koenigs
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstall "Intel USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" didn't work for me, even my USB 2.0 was't reconized anymore.

So I made a dual boot.

0 Kudos
quick_help
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

i  wasted nearly 2 days looking for a way to get my usb hardware work in the guest system (having a dell inspiron 15se with 4x USB3.0 Ports).

I tried every given solution/hint in this or other threads, but nothing work but deinstalling the Intel sHCI Drivers and use USB 2.0.

30 minutes ago i found the following page, tried their solution and it works !!

So i just registered to tell you about.

Please have a look at http://virtualizationmaximus.com/2013/01/08/intel-xhci-usb-3-0-controller-usb-passthrough-with-vmwar...

In a few words (please read their instructions as well):

#1:

Download the newest Intel Driver V1.0.7.248 from

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3467&DwnldID=21129&ProductFamily=Softw... (I used the newest version despite the article tells you to use version 1.0.6.245) an unpack it. You only need the driver in "..driver/Win7/".

#2:

"... uninstall “Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver” using Control Panel Applet – Programs and Features (appwiz.cpl), reboot system, and then reinstall Intel USB 3.0 Controller and USB 3.0 Root Hub Drivers, manually using Device Manager GUI.

I tried is with Intel Driver V1.0.7.248 andVMWare Player  5.0.0 build-812388.

Thanx to the guys @VirtualizationMaximus.com

Hope, you'll get it work as well,

best reards,

Christian

nhatkiemphi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you everyone !

My USB Aladin HASP HL key worked.

I'm using:

+ Windows 7 64bits

+ VMWare 9.0.2

+ USB all of 3.0 ports

+ Laptop Dell 15R 5520

+ Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller:  1.0.8.251

Following quick_help said:

Uninstall “Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver” using Control Panel Applet – Programs and Features (appwiz.cpl), reboot system, and then reinstall Intel USB 3.0 Controller and USB 3.0 Root Hub Drivers, manually using Device Manager GUI
0 Kudos
whitecat000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys! Thank you everyone for the solution!

It worked for the Apple iPhone error "Device is in use":

- Dell Inspiron 17R 7720;

- VMWare Workstation 9.0.1;

- Windows 7 x64 host;

- Mac OS X guest.

0 Kudos
Bruzzer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys this has resolved my issue with a Dell Inspiron 15inch Laptop,

Great work.

Uninstalled the Intel USB3 driver in Control Panel