VMware Communities
aguerriero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

USB Arbitration Service does not start automatically

When I reboot my computer. The VMware USB Arbitration Service does not start automatically. The service is set to start start automatically with a local account and it is not set for delayed start. I have to have manually start the service by right clicking on it and selecting start. It then starts and I can access removable devices in my VMs.

Any tips to get this service to start on windows startup?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are there any entries visible in the Windows Event Viewer that give any indication why the USB Arbitration Service didn't start automatically at boot?

0 Kudos
DavidGlass
Contributor
Contributor

No entries in Event Viewer. There is a message in the vmware-usbarb log saying HCMON is not available, but when I start VMware USB Arbitration later manually the log says "Connected to HCMON version 3.12". File hcmon.sys is present in three places on my PC. The one in C:\Windows\System32\drivers is identical to the one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\hcmon\Win7 and to the one in C:\Windows\System32\DRVSTORE\hcmon_10F991DDE100843FB70384A12FC5025DF7D6696C . I tried changing the service type to Automatic (Delayed Start), but that did not help.

0 Kudos