VMware Communities
pazhk
Contributor
Contributor

UDP Jumbo Frames

Does VMWare Workstation support jumbo frames?

An attempt to issue

/sbin/ifconfig vmnet7 mtu 9000

fails with

SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument

I run VMWare 6.5.2-156735 on RHEL-5.3, with 64 bit kernel (2.6.18-128.1.14.el5 #1 SMP Mon Jun 1 15:52:58 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux). My Ethernet (e1000e) driver supports jumbo frames.

Any ideas?

Piotr

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

--Nope, last I heard no Vmware product that I know of supports TCP Jumbo frames in-guest or on Host-side adapters. (Maybe ESX does, I dunno.)

--That said, you really shouldn't need it. Vmware "ethernet" performance is mainly limited by CPU, not framesize - especially if you use Host-only net.

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos
pazhk
Contributor
Contributor

I meant UDP frames. We use UDP to broadcast scientific data to several computers on a local network and my VmWare 'team' was designed to test the software.

Piotr

0 Kudos
VforVirtualizat
Contributor
Contributor

The new VMXNET3 adapter supports jumbo frames (when used in some guest operating systems). Not sure if that adapter has made it into your/current release of VMware workstation.

0 Kudos