VMware Communities
Juul
Contributor
Contributor

Two VmWare installations next to each other possible?

Hi,

I currently have VmWare Workstation 5.5.5 running. I also want to try out VmWare Workstation 6.5, so I downloaded the trial version.

However, when I start the installation procedure, VmWare wants to de-install the old VmWare. I don't want this, so is it possible one way or another to have two different versions of VmWare installed next to each other?

If version 6.5 is working well, only then I would like to remove the current version 5.5.5. But not earlier...

Best rgds,

--Juul

Best rgds, --Juul
0 Kudos
4 Replies
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I do not think that the second installation can take place when the first version is still installed. Besides I think you can safely un-install the old version without disturbing the virtual machine files, you can then go ahead and install the latest version and add the virtual machines back.

PS: Do not try and change any hardware version of the virtual machines when you use the new version or it could be a possible problem if you intend to do a rollback.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion

What happen if you try install WS 6.5 on different partition or folder? But, WS 6.5 should be much better with 5.5 so you can safely upgraded or remove.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> But, WS 6.5 should be much better with 5.5

Thats a matter of taste - if the user runs old guests miost of the time like NT or Win9x then I would stick with 5.5.

BTW - both version "can" be "installed" and "used" side by side on Windows - but this is very very advanced stuff Smiley Wink

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to Workstation Forum.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos