VMware Communities
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to update to Windows 1903 from 1803 "security or performance" issue

Hello,

Let me first start off by saying I'm a noob when it comes to really complex things related to Vmware. I just use Virtual Machines for really basic work, and I'm not a professional database administrator.

So I currently have Vmware Workstation 12 Pro 12.5.9 build-7535481, and this is installed on a machine with Windows 10 Pro, version 1803, OS build 17134.950

I am trying to update Windows 10 to version 1903, but I'm getting this prompt, preventing me from going any further. It states, "This app cannot run because it causes security or performance issues on Windows..."

Capture.PNG

Does this now mean I have to buy one of the latest versions of Vmware all over again, for no reason? I may have to consider Virtual Box if this is a normal thing.

Any helps is greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is just my personal opinion, of course.

Expecting a vendor to continuously support and enhance previous releases (and in the case of v12, 2 major versions behind) is unrealistic. Microsoft has made fairly fundamental changes to Windows in the name of security and stability and those directly impact the software that runs on it, especially software that has to leverage so many core services of Windows to provide a faithful emulation environment.

If you wish to continue to use outdated software, perhaps you should run it on an outdated operating system?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I wish it would at least give us a disclaimer on the dangers of running an outdated version, and a ToS agreement we agree to, to then proceed. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos