VMware Communities
1780yz
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to run VMWare Workstation 15.5 on a Win10 machine with Hyper-V enabled

I've seen an official blog about going to support this use case, not sure whether the feature has been released yet.

I've also seen a technical tip online about allowing Hyper-V and VMware Workstation to co-exist with a trick to temporarily disable Hyper-V by the below PowerShell command, but it still didn't work.

VMWare Workstation was able to start, but will fail when trying to start any VM with error message saying "VMware Workstation cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program, access all directories the program uses, and access all directories for temporary files. Failed to connect pipe to virtual machine: The system cannot find the file specified."

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

I hope to keep using VMware Workstation, and need a learning and testing environment preferring Docker Desktop, which requires Hyper-V. Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ender_
Expert
Expert

Make sure you're running at least VMWare Workstation 15.5.5, as that's the first version that added support for running alongside Hyper-V; you also have to be running Windows 10 2004 or 20H2 - older versions won't work.

0 Kudos
1780yz
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply, @ender_ . I've just checked, the version is "15.5.7 build-17171714"; so it's newer than 15.5.5; Windows 10 version is "20H2" with OS build "19042.867".

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

This should work. What kind of CPU do you have?

0 Kudos