VMware Communities
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to install vmware wks 6.0.2 to a vista pc

Brand new vista pc model Dell Optiplex 755 with Intel Core(TM)2 Duo E6850 @3.00ghz , 64 bit os, workstation 6.0.2 will not install.

It is windows vista busines.

I get: Setup has detected that the installation package is corrupted. Please be aware that this installer may haven been tampered with.

Do you want to ignore this and continue with the installation?

I say yes and I get: Internal Error 2885. SetupError, Y

I click ok get next: Internal Error 2885. SetupCompleteError, Cancel

This can't be right, because i am able to use the same copy and install it on windows XP pc with no problems.

Has anybody run into this before?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On WMware Workstation download page there is md5 checksum. Please verify after download that you get the same checksum value.

If checksum is the same, please attach "vminst.log" and "vmmsi.log" files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
epalmer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sounds like the installation file is corrupted - have you tried re-downloading it?

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I did that and also downloaded 6.0.1 and it also failed with the same error messages. It must be vista itself doing this because this download should have failed on windows xp as well.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A few things to try that weren't mentioned yet:

1. Make sure you're installing as Administrator.

2. Turn off UAC.

3. Turn off antivirus.

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been administrator and the uac is off. But I will give it a try with the the virus scan off and see what happens.

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turning off the antivirus didn't work. Got the same errors as before.

help

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On WMware Workstation download page there is md5 checksum. Please verify after download that you get the same checksum value.

If checksum is the same, please attach "vminst.log" and "vmmsi.log" files.

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I downloaded a new copy of wks 6 and check both the new copy and original wks 6. Both checksums were correct.

I also tried to do a checksum on the cd I burned wks 6 on it. It didn't work and I don't believe you can do a checksum of a cd.

So that gave me the idea of copying the wks 6 exe over to the vista pc. Guess what it installed with no problems.

I had burned 2 cds and of course neither worked. The only thing I can think of is I burned the wks 6 exe at a faster speed than I should have.

Anyway thanks for the help and award the points to Peter_vm

Message was edited by: mschddny P.S. Not sure how the points are awarded to Peter_vm

0 Kudos
ash0573
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you have installation problems that are 'corrupt' delete you temp files in your temp folders. Some install packages do not create a new temp folder each time, somethines they just dump themselves into the same temp folder and if there is a file there already it will not overwrite it.

Glad it workded out for you Smiley Happy

Ash

0 Kudos
Dragonstrike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem with Vista Home and Workstation 6 that Vista told me they file is corrupt.

After some investigation i found out that the problem was the installed RAM Hardware in my PC.

After i changed it to Kingston Memory everything worked without problems

0 Kudos