VMware Communities
alraczek
Contributor
Contributor

Trying install Centos in VM workstation-screen too tiny!

Hi,

I have a Yoga 920 with resolution set high. The installation screen of Centos guest is WAY too small to be useful. I have tried different host resolutions,

starting tin text mode, using vga=791 at end of first boot line (hit tab). Still can't see enough to get an install working. Any ideas?? Been at this 90 minutes!

...Alan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You are not mentioning the product and product version you are using...

If you are using VMware Workstation Pro 15 then go to the view menu -> "Stretch Guest" is pretty much made for this kind of issue.

VMware Workstation Player 15 does not appear to have this option.

This is also not available in earlier Workstation Pro products.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
alraczek
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry

VMware workstation 14.x .

0 Kudos
alraczek
Contributor
Contributor

Sir-

Is using VMware 15 the only option I have?

THanks.

...Alan

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Alan,

You can call me Wil, sir is a tad too official Smiley Wink

Sorry, have been very busy with the release of my virtual machine backup product for VMware Workstation Pro that was released yesterday.

As to your question, umm.. I'm not sure.

I think there's a workaround with Workstation 14, but the question is which one.

Unfortunately I don't have a windows host with High DPI and Workstation 14 ready, but here's a thing you can try.

Shut down VMware Workstation.

Right click on the icon of VMware Workstation, choose properties

pastedImage_1.png

Then go to the Compatibility tab page and put a checkbox in the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

See if that helps.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
alraczek
Contributor
Contributor

Wil-

I do not have that setting on my version of Win10 (1803). I have the settings below. I tried

various combinations of the High DPI scaling override options (application, system, system enhanced)

and none worked well. System enhanced worked to a point in that the screen got larger and was readable

but keyboard input would intermittently lock up so no go.

If I need to spring for an upgrade I would if I knew it would help. I even tried CentOS Server command line

only which I KNOW has VMware tools installed and same thind. Has to do with the high DPI.

Judging from the hits on this thread some others have the same issue.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If you get past the install then you can adjust centos to work with High DPI like so:

How to make Linux's desktop look good on HiDPI displays | PCWorld

As for "does Workstation 15 help".. nothing is stopping you from finding that out as there is a 30 day trial for Workstation, so you can try before you buy.

After buying you receive a license so you can change the trial and remove the time limit.

Download from here: Try VMware Workstation

If you don't want to buy, then do not forget to change the virtual hardware of your VMs back to Workstation 14 version before uninstall.

--

Wil

0 Kudos