VMware Communities
SteveSilvers
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble with NAT to Host connection

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this install. I have VMWare Workstation installed on my XP Pro box. I for some reason can't connect to the internet from with in a VM. I attached a zip file with a wordpad doc to show my screen shots. Can someone please look at this and tell me what's wrong? I need this quickly for it's holding me up from completing my work.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

We need the guest's IP configuration, as well ("ipconfig /all" for Windows or "ifconfig -a" for Linux). Please copy and paste the text in th epost as this is easier to read. Post the content of the guest's .vmx file, too.

Do you have set the guest to DHCP? If you haven't changed the default the VMware DHCP server service and NAT service must be running to use NAT.

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Ahhh, just found the pictures...

Yes, your guest is in IP network 192.168.181.0 (which is VMnet1, the host-only network) but it must be in 192.168.186.0. So, change the guest to DHCP or set the IP address to 192.168.186.2 (for example).

I would recommend to use DHCP.

Message was edited by: AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
SteveSilvers
Contributor
Contributor

That didn't do anything.

I have VMWare Workstation 6.0.2 installed, and quite a few Window 2003 and XP VM's installed and running. I can't connect to the internet from any of them. Here is what I have.

In the Virtual Network Editor - VMnet1 (NAT) 192.168.181.0 In the NAT Tab VMnet host is VMnet1, Gateway IP address is 192.168.181.2 Mask of 255.255.255.0

My VM's Ethrenet is set to use NAT and the "static" ip I gave it is - 192.168.181.4 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and Defualt Gateway of 192.168.181.2

What is wrong with this? Can someone please help me with this.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You should not have messed around with anything in the Virtual Network Editor. VMnet1 adapter is by default Host-Only, VMnet8 adapter is by default NAT. Do yourself a favor - uninstall Workstation, and reinstall (actually I'd recommend installing the latest version - 6.0.5 - which includes fixes and security updates, too). This will reset the virtual network settings to factory defaults, and randomly select new subnets for the two VMware adapters. Leave the network settings alone, and select NAT in your VM's ethernet configuration.

0 Kudos
SteveSilvers
Contributor
Contributor

You got to be kidding me. Do I really need to uninstall and reinstall? I have many VM's in it... It did work at one time, can't I just change the settings back? Or is this a VMWare quark?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Uninstalling/Reinstalling does NOTHING to your virtual machines (other than the fact that they cannot be running at the time). It is just like uninstalling/reinstalling Office - your Word documents remain unaffected.

0 Kudos
SteveSilvers
Contributor
Contributor

I fixed it. I changed it back to the default settings for VMnet8 and VMnet1 and it's working again? I for the life of me don't remember changing them around... Anyways thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos