VMware Communities
vmwarepete
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble Installing VMware Workstation 8.0.2 on CentOs 5.6 (x86_64)

Hello,

Being a very satisfied Vmware Fusion user, I decided to try VMware Workstation 8.0.2 on a CentOS 5.6 (x86_64) box.  I downloaded the x86_64 version & confirmed the md5 hash (0f41ba61117704201cfe99892405e179).  When I execute

sh ./VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.2-591240.x86_64.bundle

Nothing happens.  I tried passing flags "--help", "-h", "--extract" and still nothing happens.

Just for kicks, I tried downloading the i386 bundle, verified its md5 checksum and when I run the bundle, I get

This is a x86 bundle and does not match that of the current
architecture.  Please download the x64 bundle.

How do you install the x86_64 version on a CentOS 5.6 (x86_64) box?  Allegedly there are installation instructions in VMwareWorkstation.pdf accessable via the Workstation page, but evince shows a 1-page PDF with the text "Click to restart Mindjet Player".  Apple's Preview shows an empty white page.

Note:  I want to install VMware Workstation on this box, I am not trying to install CentOS 5.6 as a guest within a Virtual Machine.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Pete

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The host OS should be fine.

Here's the link to the Getting Started Guide: https://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws80-getting-started.pdf

Beginning on page 19 there's some linux specific stuff Smiley Wink

You find some command line switches like --console for the linux installer.

Maybe this help a bit?

0 Kudos
vmwarepete
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bernd,

When I execute `sh VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.2-591240.x86_64.bundle --console`, nothing happens.  Is it mandatory to run this script as root or via sudo?

Thanks,

Pete

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

With CentOS I would use the root account or use sudo su.

0 Kudos
motri
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

Debian 3.2.0-2-amd64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

./VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.2-591240.x86_64.bundle                                                                                      
Extracting VMware Installer... (dies silently)

Solution, VMware?

0 Kudos