VMware Communities
AhmedYehya
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Transfer VM Hard Disk to Physical

hi all

how to Transfer VM Hard Disk (vmware ) to Physical hard disk ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Mikrotik is an appliance... not really a standard Linux OS.

It makes no sense to do a V2P for an appliance, just like it makes no sense to do so for vSphere for example if you have it running as a VM.

The official way to migrate a mikrotik appliance is to export the config from your VM.

Then install it on physical - as you normally would install - and import the config.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which OS? What system will the drive be going into?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
AhmedYehya
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Linux OS (Mircrotik)

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So you need to do a V2P, or just install Linux on your new physical system and copy across anything you want to transfer.

VMware don’t offer a V2P tool.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
AhmedYehya
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how to copy 

i am ware to miss configuration when i trasfer os

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I've never done it, transferring individual files would be the same process as between any 2 Linux OSes (physical or virtual) using scp, not sure about configuration. You might be able to duplicate an entire disk with dd.

The only V2P tool I've used, albeit it was a LONG time ago and with Windows OSes, is Platespin Migrate: https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/products/platespin-migrate/overview

Here's a previous VMTN thread on this topic: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/how-can-do-V2P-for-linux/td-p/2708166

And a Reddit article with some guidance: https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/jabpth/any_guide_that_i_can_follow_to_do_a_v2p_linux/

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Mikrotik is an appliance... not really a standard Linux OS.

It makes no sense to do a V2P for an appliance, just like it makes no sense to do so for vSphere for example if you have it running as a VM.

The official way to migrate a mikrotik appliance is to export the config from your VM.

Then install it on physical - as you normally would install - and import the config.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos