VMware Communities
overexposed731
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Time synch problems in VMWare Workstation 10

Hi,

I have VMWare Workstation 10 and I'm having problems with the system clock. I have Windows 7 installed (not licensed).

The system clock is not synching with the host computer's clock. I turned on time-synch, updated the vm but I'm still having that problem.

What should I do to fix this?

Thank You

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, Overexposed731

if you machine was added into domain, then maybe you can not find the internet time. under such situation, maybe you need to start up "windows time" service for supporting the time sync with your domain.

if not in domain, you should find the internet time configuration as following steps.

1. click the time at bottom right of your desktop

2. click "change data and time setting...." in the date dialog, then you will find "internet Time" tab on the popup window

hope helpful.

Regards

xisheng

View solution in original post

19 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is  Windows 7 the host of the guest.  BTW which is unlicensed the OS or WS?

0 Kudos
overexposed731
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host is Windows 8, and

the VM is Windows 7 - not licensed

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK then.  Was VMware Tools installed in Windows 7?.  If  by unlicensed I think you   mean not activated.  As  far  as I am concerned the legal  state of Windows 7 is between you   and  Microsoft.

0 Kudos
overexposed731
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What do you mean that VMWare Tools is installed in Windows 7?

If the host computer is Windows 8 doesn't that mean that its installed in Win8?

And yes, I meant not activated yet. Is that the reason behind the time sync issue?

0 Kudos
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, overexposed731

the precondition for time sync between host and guest is vmtools should be installed on your guest.

based on above, you need to turn on the time snyc through "vm setting---option---VMwareTools"

if your guest time is later than host time, you need to restart guest.

if guest time is earlier than host time, no guest restart is needed.

Regards

xisheng

0 Kudos
overexposed731
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I already have VMWare Tools installed and the time synch option is set to On. But the time is still not synching. The time on the vm is 15-20 minutes advanced. I try to change the time manually but then when i check back again the time still advances to 15-20 minutes.

Both Vmware workstation and vmware tools are updated to the latest version.

0 Kudos
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Did you restart your guest? Stop firstly, then start

0 Kudos
overexposed731
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I restarted the guest multiple times. at first it will synch but when i check back a few hours after the restart the time on the guest is atleast 15-20 minutes advance

0 Kudos
overexposed731
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, Overexposed731

sorry, I am busy with my work recently, anyway, I will try and let you know the result.

Thanks for your reminder.

0 Kudos
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I am running this test with win8,1U1 as host and win7 as guest. also have sync time enabled. I will keep it running for a whole night to see whether I could reproduce your issue.

Will keep you update on the result.

Regards

overexposed731
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Appreciate you doing that. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, overexposed731

I can not reproduce your issue through one night running with win8.1U1 as host and win7 professional as guest, guest has the same clock with host in my test.

in my testing, I disable the internet time sync on host. the reason to disable the host internet time sync is to make sure guest could be syncronized with host, instead of internet time.

For your cases, I am thinking if your host/guest could access the internet, can you use the internet time to the clock sync on both host/guest, if you still has the issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
overexposed731
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Internet time synchronization. Hmm. Yes I'll try that. I'll update this post if it works. Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
overexposed731
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh wait, how come I don't have the Internet Time tab

0 Kudos
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, Overexposed731

if you machine was added into domain, then maybe you can not find the internet time. under such situation, maybe you need to start up "windows time" service for supporting the time sync with your domain.

if not in domain, you should find the internet time configuration as following steps.

1. click the time at bottom right of your desktop

2. click "change data and time setting...." in the date dialog, then you will find "internet Time" tab on the popup window

hope helpful.

Regards

xisheng

overexposed731
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey I think synching it to the windows time service worked :smileygrin:

I followed this article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307897

I'm going to monitor it and then check if it really did work. I'll update this in a few hours.

0 Kudos
overexposed731
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey, it worked! :smileygrin: Thank You so much! I synch it to the windows service time :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

overexposed731 wrote:

I already have VMWare Tools installed and the time synch option is set to On. But the time is still not synching. The time on the vm is 15-20 minutes advanced. I try to change the time manually but then when i check back again the time still advances to 15-20 minutes.

Both Vmware workstation and vmware tools are updated to the latest version.

I know you already resolved your problem another way, but wanted to let you know why the VMware Tools sync wasn't working for you as expected.  The VMware Tools time sync will only sync a Guest's clock forward -- it will not move it backwards.  This is for a good reason -- some software does not like it if a system clock moves "backwards" and typically a Guest clock runs slow rather than fast.

0 Kudos