VMware Communities
0151paul
Contributor
Contributor

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible. This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled

Hi

I'm trying to use a machine I have been given and get the following error.

I have read other threads about how to correct the fault but have hit a dead end. I've check my compatibility with the suggested tools and all is OK

I believe that

(1) My BIOS/firmware settings are enabled for Intel VT-x but I've not been able to find the 'trusted execution.' option

(2) I Have power cycled my machine.

(3) Checked my host's BIOS/firmware is the latest version

Please find attached my log file.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RJB3ST
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

It still looks like its a setting in the BIOS causing this issue. Can you confirm that you do have Intel VT enabled. Its commonly found under security - system security, but this can change depending on the model of the computer you have, so if you can clarify what it is I could try to be more specific.

Also when you say suggested tools, was one Intel's Processor Identification Untility as per below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838

Let me know the computer model and I can try and be specific about where you can find the "Trusted Execution" option.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Are you using an antivirus on your host? Like for example Avast?

If so, check this thread:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2657629#2657629

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
0151paul
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I've been into the BIOS and found the VT enable option & found it to be enabled. The laptop I'm running is a Lenovo B5400 I've been through all the menus (& sub menus) in the BIOS and cant find the 'Trusted' option.

I did use the Intel software and it confirmed my processor (i5-4200M) was capable.

If you are saying the log file says its still in the BIOS then that's where I'll look again now.

0 Kudos
0151paul
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

I am running avast.

I found on another thread an issue noted with Mcfee 'bit defender' so to rule mine out I have completely disable all shields, rebooted, and checked they are still off before attempting to start the VM machine.

Still came up with the same issue.

0 Kudos
RJB3ST
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

The trusted execution option in the BIOS is known as Intel TXT Feature, please see below link for the location:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/W510-VMware-Vbox-VT-X-is-locked-or-not-e...

Let me know if that helps or if you have this disabled already.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Chances are you have to uninstall Avast in order to actually disable the check.

Disabling an antivirus doesn't disable it most of the times.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

May be below link will help you .

Intel VT-x on T440? (64-bit Virtual Machine Support) - Lenovo Community

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
0151paul
Contributor
Contributor

Morning all,

Many thanks for the suggestions I have finally manged to get the machine to boot although I'm still not sure what the issue was but I think it must have been some fault within the VM software looking at BIOS ??.

One thing I didn't mention in my first posts was that I had also recently upgraded by VM software from v8 to v12 (the machine I was trying to run was v11).

The steps I took where to uninstall the VMware station software completely. Then power off my machine with the VT option disabled (the TXT feature was already disabled) then reboot. Then power off my machine with the TXT feature enabled, then reinstall VMware v12.

Thanks for all your help

0 Kudos