VMware Communities
andrewjknox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This host is VT-capable, but VT is disabled - Tried usual suspects...

Hi guys,

My VMWare Workstation 8 installs were fine until I did two things that may have caused a problem:

1) Upgraded from 8 to 8.0.1

2) Changed the power settings on my laptop (I saw this mentioned in another thread as a potential issue) to increase timeout before sleep

I've gone into the BIOS and checked that the neccessary settings were as they were. I've downloaded the vt.iso, burned to disc and booted from it - all cpus reported back:

CPU <n>: VT is enabled on this core 

I've flashed my BIOS to latest version.

I've removed laptop battery and pressed power button to discharge.

My laptop is Lenovo W520 if that helps.

I've attached a log file.

I really hope someone is able to help, been at this for 5 hours now... Smiley Happy

Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We are still trying to determine what causes this problem on some systems.  In the meantime, as a workaround, please add the following line to C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\config.ini:

hv.assumeEnabled = TRUE

Note that ProgramData is a hidden folder.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We are still trying to determine what causes this problem on some systems.  In the meantime, as a workaround, please add the following line to C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\config.ini:

hv.assumeEnabled = TRUE

Note that ProgramData is a hidden folder.

0 Kudos
andrewjknox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Superb, worked like a charm! Thanks so much for resolving this and getting back to me. This was a trial copy I was testing out for VM'ing my development environment for various clients and I'm quite happy to buy a full version based on this.

Regards,

Andrew

0 Kudos