VMware Communities
KariP
Contributor
Contributor

The virtual disk needs repair

Hi,

my Win11 (x64) host crashed and when I later tried to start my VM, I did get the error that a disk needed repair.  The workstation mentioned four vmdk files, but they all appear to be extensions of the same disk.

I tried to use the vmware-vdiskmanager with the -R option, but it didn't do anything. No message e.g. trying to repair or reporting an error. It just returns quickly to the command prompt.

Is there something else I could do to get the VM back up and disks repaired?

Thanks,
kari

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the area for Workstation Pro, I have reported it to the moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Post the latest vmware.log from that VM, as well as the directory listing showing detail view (names and sizes of files).

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

First thing to do is to backup the VM's files/folder unless already done!

Next, extract the attached .zip archive to a new folder, drag&drop the VM's folder onto the .cmd file, compress/zip the newly created Metadata*.* files, and attach the .zip archive to your next reply.

André

0 Kudos
KariP
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

attached are the results of doing the "Get-VmdkHeader" thing.

Kari

0 Kudos
KariP
Contributor
Contributor

and here is the vmware log file.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't see any errors in the files' metadata.

Didi you already perform a file system check on the host's file system?

André

0 Kudos
KariP
Contributor
Contributor

André,

thanks, yes I did. Windows tells that it can't find any errors.

Luckily I have a backup I can restore the VM from, but the backup is in the Cloud so it will take some time to restore. Luckily it is the weekend, so I have time.

Let this one remain a mystery.

kp

0 Kudos