VMware Communities
vmuser333
Contributor
Contributor

The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm working with workstation 9, my laptop rebooted while workstation was running. Now when I try to connect to the vmx file its says "The system cannot find the file" but the file exists.

Not sure what to do with this.

V.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
crawfordm
Expert
Expert

Remove the VM from workstation and add it back it.

------------------------------------------------------------------ If you found this answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Thanks, Marc Crawford CCNA, MCSE, MCTS, A+, Net+, Sec +, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-NV, VCP-NV, VCP-DCV, VCP, VCAP5-DCA http://gplus.to/marccrawford http://blog.marccrawford.com @uber_tech_geek
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I doubt that removing and adding back the VM as suggested by crawfordm is going to fix the issue and if it doesn't then archive (compress) the .vmx configuration file along with the vmware.log files and a directory listing of the folder containing the files that comprise the VM showing file name, size and date/time stamp.  In a Command Prompt/Terminal: dir *.* /one > filelist.txt on a Windows Host or ls -lisa > filelist.txt on a Linux Host

Archive (compress) the vmware.log file, the .vmx configuration file and the filelist.txt file for the target VM into a single .zip archive file and attach it to a reply,

NOTE: DO NOT copy and paste the contents of the .log or .vmx files into the body of a reply!  Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
crawfordm
Expert
Expert

Please do not forget to mark helpful answers so that points are awarded.

Thanks

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------ If you found this answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Thanks, Marc Crawford CCNA, MCSE, MCTS, A+, Net+, Sec +, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-NV, VCP-NV, VCP-DCV, VCP, VCAP5-DCA http://gplus.to/marccrawford http://blog.marccrawford.com @uber_tech_geek
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

vmuser333 wrote:

WoodyZ

Attached are the files that you requested.

cc.. Crawfordm - your suggested did fix my issue - thanks for your response.

V

As I originally said "... and if it doesn't then archive ..." and since it did then there was no need to supply the diagnostic information requested! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
vmuser333
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry Woodyz, that was a typo, crawfordm solution didn't fix my issue.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

vmuser333 wrote: Sorry Woodyz, that was a typo, crawfordm solution didn't fix my issue.

Then why on earth would you mark his reply as helpful?  A reply that does not resolve or at least directly help resolve an issue is not helpful and just shouldn't be marked as such! Smiley Wink

Anyway...

The filelist.txt file for the virtual hard disk shows a path of 'C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\base-image-Windows-XP-Professional\base-image-Windows-XP-Professional.vmdk' and is only the "Disk DescriptorFile" .vmdk file and the vmware.log file shows a path of 'C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\base-image-Windows-XP-Professional\Windows XP Professional\Windows XP Professional.vmdk' and shows it opening the 21 binary extents.

So what I really need to see is a filelist.txt for:

'C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\base-image-Windows-XP-Professional\Windows XP Professional\'

Not:

'C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\base-image-Windows-XP-Professional\'

As that is where the virtual hard disk for the 'C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\base-image-Windows-XP-Professional\base-image-Windows-XP-Professional.vmx' configuration file also is saying where the virtual hard disk is.

So, in the 'C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\base-image-Windows-XP-Professional\Windows XP Professional\' folder there should be the following .vmdk files and none should be zero length.

"Windows XP Professional.vmdk

"Windows XP Professional-s001.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s002.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s003.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s004.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s005.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s006.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s007.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s008.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s009.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s010.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s011.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s012.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s013.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s014.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s015.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s016.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s017.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s018.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s019.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s020.vmdk"

"Windows XP Professional-s021.vmdk"

If any are zero length or missing then that is the problem.

So... what's in the  'C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\base-image-Windows-XP-Professional\Windows XP Professional\' folder?

0 Kudos
vmuser333
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I will get it to you

0 Kudos