VMware Communities
PeterPang
Contributor
Contributor

The second Windows 2003 server Guest OS run very slowly on host machine with Intel Core2 Duo CPU

Hi dears,

I am using Workstation 6.5.0 (Windows version) on Windows 2003 server host machine. My host machine has 3.7GB RAM and CPU with Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz*2.

I need to use two guest windows os concurrently, but I found one of the two windows guest will run very slowly, and the other one run pretty fast. I set each VM with a CPU core, and 1700M RAM.

Another thing I found is that, if I run a Windows VM and a Linux VM concurrently, both of them will run very fast. (I measured them with a very large java application).

Any idea about this problem?

BTW, when right click "My computer" and show porperties, my windows guest OS will display it has a Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6550 2.33GHz 231187.12GHz ...(Unreasonable CPU frequency, and the large frequency will change each time I restart the VM, seems VMware workstation can not recognize the right CPU frequency correctly), not sure if this can be a clue..

0 Kudos
8 Replies
joe1600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hiii

workstan 6.5.0 does not support core2duo as host CPU,try reisnatlling wks with version 6.5.2 if possible

regards

Joe

Joe Joseph,Thanks in Advance If you find my reply useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

workstan 6.5.0 does not support core2duo as host CPU

tell us another one ...

Anyway - try to reduce the amount of RAM per Windows VM to 1500 Mb - or anything else below 1600 Mb

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

PeterPang
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for your informaion.

I updated my wks to 6.5.2 today, and tried again, but the problem is stills there, not sure this is a wks limitation or something on Core2 Duo CPU...

This time my CPU frequency is displayed as: 2.33GHz, 2395.49GHz. Still very strange frequency. I remembered that it even displayed -214534656.34GHz some day before...

But I find the first Windows 2003 VM, although with wrong CPU frequence display, it can work well. But the second Windows 2003 VM is still very slow as before when I was using 6.5.0.

0 Kudos
PeterPang
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried the start the VM with 1500M RAM, but the problem is still there, and when I saw the free RAM in host machine's task manager, it is about 500M available.

I once assumed this is a problem of lack of RAM, but after times of experiment, I don't think RAM is the key to this problem.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, very very much.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

post a vmware.log - maybe it gives a hint

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
PeterPang
Contributor
Contributor

This is the vmware.log when I set both of the two VM's RAM in 1800MB, with host OS windows 2008 server 64-bit, 5GB RAM.

my config.ini:

.encoding = "windows-1252"

prefvmx.useRecommendedLockedMemSize = "TRUE"

prefvmx.minVmMemPct = "100"

priority.grabbed = "high"

prefvmx.allVMMemoryLimit = "4096"

mainMem.useNamedFile = "FALSE"

sched.mem.pshare.enable= "FALSE"

host.cpukHz = "2330000"

host.noTSC = "TRUE"

ptsc.noTSC = "TRUE"

0 Kudos
PeterPang
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I found it. Sorry, I didn't notice this log file before...

I changed both VM's RAM to 1500MB, and it seems the problem is solved, but I am wondering why this may be helpful?

If I need more than 1500M to run applications in VM, what should I do? My application can consume large amount of RAM, it will take at least 900M RAMs when started, and it will need more RAMs to ensure it provide it's services smoothly and efficiently.

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
joe1600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hiii

coz i run 2k3 server as ad$dns with 348MB ram and RRAS server with 350 MB RAM simultaneously with no perf Probs and mine is Just an AMD phenom quad core and not INtel

host.cpukHz = "2330000" is 2.33Ghz Am i rite....

regards

Joe

Joe Joseph,Thanks in Advance If you find my reply useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.
0 Kudos