VMware Communities
javadsadeghi
Contributor
Contributor

The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file

Hi everyone,

I get this following error "The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file" when I want to boot my VM.

I searched a lot about it and found solutions like remove .Ick files, or uncompress NTFS files, but none of those worked for me!

please help me I have some important files on my VM, I wish I could grab those files at least!

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Best guess?

Your antivirus might be scanning your VM. Make sure to exclude the VM folder from your antivirus, then reboot and try again.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> has locked a portion of the file

Thats odd - can you provide some details about the locked file ?

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Hello and welcome to the community

Can you check and be ensure there is no other VMware Workstation process that may used that VM files?! Please check the list of your system's processes about the Workstation application, in similar situation you may not have access to that VM and its related operations like power-on/power-off actions.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos