VMware Communities
Zi2023
Contributor
Contributor

The file specified is not a virtual disk

I know there some other posts under this issue and I tried them all. The issue is that when I check the directory for VMDk file size, it shows 0KB (Zero KB)!! The size is nothing. I thought it might be a corrupted Partition. There is nothing in the partition manager. I also used some of data recovery tools on the drive (D:/) what was found all shows 0KB.

Any idea how to get the data back from this workstation. I have to mention that I was running Ubuntu version 20 in workstation.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid that if even data recovery software is not able to recover anything, your only option would be to reach out to a professional data recovery company, which however may be expensive.

André

0 Kudos
Zi2023
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I wonder why this is happening? I had two virtual machines, one Ubuntu that I was working with and the other one Windows 7 that I did not started it for almost two years. They were both in the same folder (Virtual Machines). They both got affected and both vmdk files are 0KB.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Did you happen to recently begin to use OneDrive?  I know when my company started switching us to OneDrive, as the 'My Documents' folder began to synchronize, it attempted to sync all of the VMs in the default "Virtual Machines" folder under the "My Documents" folder.  I had to move my VMs to a different location on my hard disk so they would not be impacted by OneDrive.

0 Kudos
Zi2023
Contributor
Contributor

No, actually the VMs are in the second HD. My computer has to hard drives, one for OS and the other one for back ups. The VMs were in the back drive and I was not use OneDrive either. That's why it is very strange that this happens!!

0 Kudos