VMware Communities
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The file specified is not a virtual disk

Hi,

when I try to run the VM this error appear to me, please there is any solution about this issue.

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, I can't bring back all the data that's probably missing due to the lost/empty .vmdk files. However, you should at least be able to access the virtual disk by replacing the corrupted/missing extents. After extracting the attached archive, don't try to power on the VM (except you have a copy/backup of all the files). Rather use Map virtual disk from the File menu of VMware Workstation to map the virtual disk to your host in read-only mode to extract/backup the files you need.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Had you been able to run this VM before? Did you make any changes to the VMDK file?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The screen shot doesn't show the virtual SCSI disks's size. Reasons for this may be a corrupt/deleted virtual disk (.vmdk) file or the entry for virtual disk in the VM's configuration (.vmx) file points to another - non existing - location.

The vmware.log files in the VM's folder may also be helpful in finding out what's causing the issue.

André

0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you confirm all the VM's files were properly copied from "E:\P85-VM" to "H:\backup\P85-VM"?

It looks like the first virtual disk (or at least some of the files related to this disk) are missing. You should have "hd1.vmdk" as well as "hd1-s001.vmdk" through "hd1-s051.vmdk" in this folder.

André

0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes all the VM's files were properly copied from "E:\P85-VM" to "H:\backup\P85-VM"

and I have "hd1.vmdk" as well as "hd1-s001.vmdk" through "hd1-s049.vmdk" in this folder (H:\backup\P85-VM), I think as you told me there is two files .VMDK missing.

Note:

- hd1.vmdk it is just use for OS (C://      partion)

- and ibmp8v5.vmdk use for data (D://     partion)

please there is any way to resolve this is issue? like import the ibm8v5.vmdk to another VM?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, you can add the healthy virtual disk to another VM.

To check whether the issue can be resolved, please attach the "hd1.vmdk" (this should be a small text file) to a reply post and provide a list of all the hd1 files (e.g. the output of dir hd1*.* /one) with names, sizes, ...

André

0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how I can add the healthy virtual disk to another VM without any format for healthy virtual disk?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please provide the file list!

To add an existing virtual disk to a VM, open the VM's settings and add a virtual disk. In the wizard select "Existing virtual disk".

I'd recommend you backup all the VM's files before you do anything!

André

0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi a.p,

as your request, please find the attached file to see the hd1 files list.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, I can't bring back all the data that's probably missing due to the lost/empty .vmdk files. However, you should at least be able to access the virtual disk by replacing the corrupted/missing extents. After extracting the attached archive, don't try to power on the VM (except you have a copy/backup of all the files). Rather use Map virtual disk from the File menu of VMware Workstation to map the virtual disk to your host in read-only mode to extract/backup the files you need.

André

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

Try to remove the vmdk from vm configuration,

and then add it again.

Maybe you changed the type of hdd ?

and after problem appears.

Hope will help.

Yours, Oscar

0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am sorry for delay but I was in vacation.

Thanks so much a.p. for your support, now the workstation can see the disk but the window files curated .. it is not matter the important that I got the data on D partition.

thanks

0 Kudos
mimasci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

first I have to thank you to let me understand how to fix the VM boot issue.

I want to add my experience extending what already did by André (a.p.). This because the .vmdk files posted by André  - I think - cannot work for anyone.

In my case, quite similar to the one posted by rezeq1989, I had:

- to make a chkdsk /r/f

so one of the .vmdk file changed its size to zero;

- create a new virtual disk with the same size of the disk not recognized by the VM player;

- replace the zero byte .vmdk file with the one of the new created .vmdk files; in case the zero byte .vmdk file is the last of the series, than, the new created .vmdk file to use for replacement should be the last as well (that is smaller than the others).

That's all.

Gigi

0 Kudos