VMware Communities
Mazeme
Contributor
Contributor

The file specified is not a virtual disk - Error on vmx and on all snapshots

Hey there,

I've been struggling for two days with this error now and read and executed countless solutions - but none seem to work.

I hope I find help here.

Without any warning or error my Vmaschine crashed.

When I try to open it I get the "The file specified is not a virtual disk" - Error.

I can't revert to any snapshots (Daily Snapshots are made).

Solutions I've already tried:

- Checking the vmx if it maps to the wrong vdmk - nope, everything seems to be fine.

- Removing the *.LCK folders

- Making a new VM from a vdmk (Error: "Parent of this virtual disk could not be opened")

Is there anything else I could do?

And is there anything I can provide that could help you guys and girls helping me?

Greetings and thank you for your input.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Let's try, and see whether this can be fixed. As a first step, please provide a complete list of files in the VM's folder, i.e. the output of dir *.* (for Windows), or ls -lisa (for Linux). Either redirect the command's output to a text file, and attach this file to a reply post, or copy&paste the text output to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
Mazeme
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there,

I'm glad to be here.

These are my logs:

https://we.tl/LGZHITCRPI

And this is my filellist of the VM directory VM ("dir /ogn /r /a"):

http://pastebin.com/HnTdP5pE

Greetings,

Matthias

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This doesn't look good at all.

According to the log file, you ran out of disk space on your C: drive, where the VM is stored. It looks like this caused VMware Workstation to crash, without being able to write changes to the disk, and properly close the open files.

There are lots of files missing, which make up the virtual disk(s). Each of the snapshot should should consist of a header/descriptor .vmdk file "WinterHeld-00000nn.vmdk", as well as 32 data .vmdk file "WinterHeld-0000nn-s001.vmdk" trough "WinterHeld-000001-s032.vmdk". When did you last backup the VM's files/folder? Maybe there's a chance to at least restore some of the files to make the VM work again, and reduce the data loss.

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Andre
I am working on the system right now.
We had to discard a few of the latest snapshots and at the moment we are extracting user-data from a working - but not bootable constellation.
Once we have extracted the data we will have to revert further snapshots until we find a bootable state.
First lesson for the user:  never ever use Autodestruct again :smileygrin:

0 Kudos