VMware Communities
qdulixin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The disk 'D:\win10ProVM\Windows 10.vmdk' has one or more internal errors that cannot be fixed.

Can not run a virtual machine after changing settings. Please help me to resolve this problem. Thank you very much!

Error message: 

The disk 'D:\win10ProVM\Windows 10.vmdk' has one or more internal errors that cannot be fixed. Restore from a backup copy of this disk.

Note:

Restore from a backup copy of this disk.

The specified virtual disk needs repair

Cannot open the disk '“D:\win10ProVM\Windows 10.vmdk”' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module 'Disk' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Attached logs file.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To find out whether this can be fixed, please extract the scripts from the attached .zip archive, and then either drag&drop the .vmdk file, or the VM's folder on the .cmd file, or - in case that you've extracted the scripts to the VM's folder - simply double-click the .cmd file.

Once done, compress/zip all the "Metadata-*.*" files, and attach the .zip archive to your next reply.

André

View solution in original post

8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@qdulixin 

Moderator: Moved to Workstation Pro Discussions, though you may be using Workstation Player you're definitely not running Fusion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
qdulixin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much. I am using VMware Workstation 15 Pro.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To find out whether this can be fixed, please extract the scripts from the attached .zip archive, and then either drag&drop the .vmdk file, or the VM's folder on the .cmd file, or - in case that you've extracted the scripts to the VM's folder - simply double-click the .cmd file.

Once done, compress/zip all the "Metadata-*.*" files, and attach the .zip archive to your next reply.

André

qdulixin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear André,

Thanks for you reply. Please find the attachment named MetadtaFiles.zip.

Li Xin

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Something has overwritten parts of the metadata, and caused issues with holes in the grain table, as well as incorrect pointers which needed to be fixed, so that the virtual disk will at least be recognized as such again. The obvious damage I found, is about 64MB (1000 incorrect pointers to 64kB blocks) that got lost, so expect some file system corruption from within the OS.

I strongly recommend that you backup the .vmdk file before modifying it, and take a VM snapshot prior to powering on the VM after the modification.

To inject the modified metadata into the .vmdk file, please download dsfi.exe from e.g. http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=47&id=111&artlang=en. With "dsfi.exe" and "Metadata-Windows 10-107037851648-Fixed.bin" (from the attached file) in the VM's folder, run the following command.

dsfi.exe "Windows 10.vmdk" 0 13172736 "Metadata-Windows 10-107037851648-Fixed.bin"
Usage: dsfi.exe <destination> <offset> <size> <source>

André

qdulixin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André,

Thank you so much for your help. I have made a backup of .vmdk file and downloaded the dsfi.exe. But I can't find the attached file "Metadata-Windows 10-107037851648-Fixed.bin".  Please help me to confirm this file. Thank you again!

Li Xin

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sorry, my bad. It sometimes helps to attach the file one is talking about 😉

I've attached the file to my previous reply.

André

0 Kudos
qdulixin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear André,

Sorry to reply you late. I am so glad to tell you that my virtual machine has already fixed. Thanks for your help and your time.😀

Li Xin

0 Kudos