VMware Communities
manholeg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VMware USB Arbitrator returned error code 4(9)

Hi.

This is first writing in english, because I'm neither an american nor an european. (actually, korean)

So I hope my message will not be ridiculous enough to make you sneer.

What I have been trying to do was just recognizing my removal disk on virture OS.

This device, using the usb port, was given by my friend, helps me play the online game automatically.

But I found the problem: this device doesn't work on Windows 7, my present operation system.

So I used "vmware workstation", hoping my device works well on virture OS.

But everytime I click the "Connect (Disconnect from Host)" button, Nothing happens.

I just could hear the sound of disconnection of removal disk, on my host computer.

I have been trying to solve this problem, searching and searching almost up to 5 hours.. but nothing gained.

The error message reads: The VMware USB Arbitrator returned error code 4 (sometimes error code 9)

the solutions I've been doing is:

1. reinstall the VMware Software

2. reinstall the VMware Tools

3. open up the device administrator on the guest computer → check the yellow-exclamation mark → remove correspondant usb driver

(I couldn't find the device on the list, It seems like my device wasn't recognized at all)

4. open up the registry editor → go to the path:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} → remove the key value named "UpperFilters" or "LowerFiltters"

5. remove AMD USB Filter Driver

(my computer's motherboard is not AMD)

6. rollback the driver of "USB Root Hub"

(I couldn't click on the rollback button, it wasn't activated)

7. start the Windows Service named "VMware USB Arbitration Service"

(It was already started)

more should be listed, but i cannot remember...

I'm using the version 7.0.1 workstation.

Desperately need someone's help... hope the answer arrives soon.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

please check if vmusbarbservice works correctly - see
http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?solution_id=1113

if it works as expected try to add the USB device to your VM - then later attach the vmware.log here

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

please check if vmusbarbservice works correctly - see
http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?solution_id=1113

if it works as expected try to add the USB device to your VM - then later attach the vmware.log here

0 Kudos