VMware Communities
RocknRollTim
Contributor
Contributor

The Filename Is Too Long

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to resolve "The filename is too long" message without renaming all virtual disk and snapshot files?

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What's the file name, i.e. how long is it, and how long is the absolute path to the VM's folder?

Please provide some more details ( e.g. the VM's vmware.log file). Has the VM been moved, or did it work before? What happend before it quit working.

André

0 Kudos
RocknRollTim
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I don't seem to get any email notifications for when people respond to any of my threads on this forum. Anyway getting back to your questions, the file name of the VM is Clone of Clone of Clone of Clone of Clone of Clone of Clone of Windows Server 2016 which is 79 characters in length, however the length of the absolute path to the VM's folder was 58 characters in length and was C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\Need Organising\Other\Virtual Machines but have reinstalled the PC since then and haven't copied all the contents off my external drive back onto my PC yet as I am still configuring it. The vmware.log on the PC won't be obtainable now as I didn't back it up before reinstalling the PC, however the funny thing is that it runs off the external drive without any problems? All contents were copied off the external drive to C:\Users\Admin\Desktop as mentioned previously and VM never loaded correctly when copying off the external drive, can't figure out what would have changed after copying the contents to PC? I know it wasn't a permission problem.

Regards,

RocknRollTim

0 Kudos
AdenBrooklyn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, you can try "Long Path Tool" it really works for me and is is free. Easy to utilize.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Exactly when are you receiving this error?  When attempting to open the VM?  When attempting to power it on?

0 Kudos