VMware Communities
unkilbeeg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Text mode reinstall options?

Is there a text mode re-install option? For years we had a script we could run that would rebuild all the kernel interface modules so that when we got a kernel upgrade we could easily get VMware to work with the new kernel.

The latest several versios have had the rebuild functionality built in to VMware itself, which seems like a swell idea -- if you have just one copy to upgrade.

I have 50 Workstation licenses and another 90 or so Player installs. I used to be able to log on the 30 or so workstations at a time and lauch the rebuild process on each one, simultaneously. Now I have to do each one, one at a time. This is very painful. An install of the full product (from the bundle) is much easier -- it detects that I'm installing from a text mode window and perates accordingly, but I haven't figured out how to do this when I have to rebuild the kernel modules.

I can't believe that the ability for a non-graphical rebuild is gone, I just can't figure out how to get to it. Does someone have a solution for me?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try the following from the command line when login as root

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Another option would be to run through the GUI on one machine and copy the compiled modules to the other machines

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try the following from the command line when login as root

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Another option would be to run through the GUI on one machine and copy the compiled modules to the other machines

0 Kudos