VMware Communities
muetstem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Testing hyper-v on workstation 7

I use vmware workstation 7 and created a ESXi cluster with two nodes and virtual center. I used openfiler for iSCSI. (I have my VCP3.x and I like to upgrade my VCP to 4 and a test environment is the best practice).

Inside this cluster I run a debian linux guest. I can do a migration and other great tests!

My machine is a Dell laptop Studio with a Intel I7 and 4GB ram (I look for 8GB but it is to exspensive now)

After testing vSphere I was curious about Xenserver 5.5

I installed a Xen cluster on my vmware workstation. This time I did not use iSCSI but use NFS shared storage from my openfiler (iSCSI gives some problems with Xenserver running on Openfiler). And YES! it worked, I even manage to run a guest inside Xenserver (I used LAMP virtual appliance to run inside Xen). All free options work (like live migration)

Now I want to test Hyperv, to get knowledge of all popular VM products (and advice vsphere with a good reason Smiley Wink )…..but I cannot start any guest ……

If someone can find a workaround to run Hyperv with working guest on VM workstation…please let me know…If anyone wants to have information about configure ESXi or Xenserver on VMworkstation with openfiler…mail me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

there is no workaround for XENserver with Windows guests and HyperV - it just does not work because a VM has no VT support

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

there is no workaround for XENserver with Windows guests and HyperV - it just does not work because a VM has no VT support

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
muetstem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I know that you can only start a view OS types into ESXi or Xenserver when running into VMware workstation 7. But you can start them and use features like Life or VM Motion. I hope someone finds a workaround (with or without help from Microsoft) so that it is posible to run a guest (windows or Linux)

and test Hyperv on a single laptop.

0 Kudos