VMware Communities
WendellGee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Terrible VM performance running SAV 10

Before I get too far into this, I primarily blame SAV 10 for being a resource hog, but I'm wondering if there's a way I can boost the performance to an acceptable level.

In brief, I set up a new PC the other day running 64-bit Ubuntu, installed 64-bit Workstation 7 for Linux on it, and set up a 32-bit XP VM with 2 VCPUs, 1 GB RAM and a 40-GB preallocated virtual disk. So far, so good -- performance was such that I could watch video in the VM with only minor stuttering.

Then, so I could meet the host requirements for our corporate VPN and use it for remote access to work, I downloaded and installed SAV 10 from our intranet. Immediately the performance went in the toilet even as the VM's CPU usage doubled. I was waiting several minutes after clicking a button or icon to see the effect. I tried disabling auto-protect but it only had marginal benefit and actually seemed to reactivate itself quickly. Uninstalling SAV completely resolved all issues (I could actually see performance improve during the uninstall process as each component was shut down).

Is there a simple known fix for this issue, or is it just a case of Symantec being an irredeemable pig? I've read that Symantec does not support SAV 10 on a VM, but I don't know what the extent of that non-support is.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try it again with 1 vCPU.

Newer Linux kernels have a "problem" (or should I say bug?) scheduling vSMP VMs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

... is it just a case of Symantec being an irredeemable pig?

There is nothing to add Smiley Wink

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Newer Linux kernels have a "problem" (or should I say bug?) scheduling vSMP VMs.

0 Kudos
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Disabling Auto-Protect can help, but I don't know if that would be allowed by your corporate policy.

David Strebel

www.holy-vm.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
0 Kudos
WendellGee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked perfectly! I'm actually getting better performance with SAV now than I was without it before.

0 Kudos
cycler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can anybody identify where you found some detail on this for the Linux kernel?The kernel thread archives don't seem to have anything that leads me to believe they have seen the problem. I have to agree however, after dropping to a single CPU and single thread in my VM the responsiveness of the VM has been generally better.

Running Win7 X64 under WS7 on 2.6.31-17 with SAV 11.0 in the VM.

0 Kudos