VMware Communities
mogulman
Contributor
Contributor

Taskbar icon for Outlook in Unity mode missing

I've been using VMware workstation 7.1 for about 6 months.  I am using a Windows 7 64-bit host.   Windows XP Pro Guest.  I use it mainly to access email (Outlook 2007 SP2).

I use VMware in Unity mode.

Up until last week, I could see the Guest Outlook 2007 in my Windows 7 taskbar.  It showed up as a regular looking Outlook icon.   Now I can see an icon but it is just a generic icon on the taskbar rather then the Outlook 2007 icon.

If I open other apps inside the Guest, they are showing up correctly.

Any idea how to fix this?

I've posted a screenshot

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mogulman
Contributor
Contributor

Ok.. I finally figured out what caused this and how to fix it.

I had moved my VMware machine to a different directory.  Somehow the icon cache for that particular app was messed up.  That was the only app also.

I tried a lot of stuff.

What finally worked was to right-click on the blank icon on the Windows 7 taskbar.  For some reason that blank icon had a properties selection.

Then I browsed to my Virtual Machines\<machine name>\caches\LinkIcons\<filenameforOutlookicon> and picked the correct icon.

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yeah, I was going to suggest that the icon cache had been corrupted. Glad you figured it out! =:)

0 Kudos
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

Windows keeps those shortcuts cached, and the icon is part of that info, so that explains why moving the icon cache affected the shortcut.

FYI, you can remove individual shortcuts for unity windows if this problem happens again. Go to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ImplicitAppShortcuts and find the directory that has the shortcut for the affected app. Delete the dir and it will be re-created the next time you run that app in unity.