VMware Communities
EricJanHteA
Contributor
Contributor

%TMP% File in SysWOW64

After installation of WS 10.0.1-1379776 on a W7 HP x64 system a file with

the name of %TMP% popped up in the Windows\SysWOW64 folder.

I can not get the thought out of my head that this is an error.. Am I right?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, I read folder not file... I do have a %TMP% file at that location and it is not present on a system that does not have VMware Workstation installed and all other software is the same.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi EricJanHteA, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

Interesting... We're currently investigating a very similar-looking problem affecting some WS installations on Linux hosts.  Could you tell us more about the file's size and contents?

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I just deleted the file and then started VMware Workstation and it still runs and didn't recreate the file.  Although without further testing it looks like it is not needed after the install and the file contains no meaningful human readable strings.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Hey Darius,

It gets created shortly after the VMware Workstation shortcut is created on the Desktop.

%TMP%.zip File attached.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks!  It's exactly the same problem as we'd seen on Linux.  I've added this thread to the internal bug we're using to track the issue, and we'll work on cleaning it up in future releases.

The %TMP% file might be created during installation (not always... it depends on the state of the host system at the time), is harmless, and may safely be deleted after installation is complete.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
EricJanHteA
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Darius (and others), for confirming the issue. Deleted the file.

Everything still runs OK

0 Kudos
EricJanHteA
Contributor
Contributor

Had it in the recycle bin. Here it is.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

EricJanHteA, I'm curious as to how you noticed that file was even created?  Thanks...

0 Kudos
EricJanHteA
Contributor
Contributor

I have two OS's on my laptop. to save disk space I share the "Program Files" directory

on a separate partition to which I make a symbolic link from both OS's. Therefore I was

curious of what other files were installed. And besides the "System32" directory the

SysWOW64 had my attention too.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks.  I know this is off topic however, what two version of Windows are you sharing the Program Files folder between?

0 Kudos
EricJanHteA
Contributor
Contributor

A Windows 7 x86 and a Windows 7 x64.  I want to run x64 VM's so I am

gradually shifting to x64 as host and am giving up x86.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Makes sense! Thanks

0 Kudos