VMware Communities
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

System error 1219 has occurred - Caused by VMware Workstation Service?

After many many years running the same windows drive mapping batch jobs, some months ago I started experiencing problems mapping shared resources on other servers to local drive letters.  Windows would throw an error which always yielded the following dreaded message:

"System error 1219 has occurred.

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.  Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

There were no drives connected to any shared resource.  Net Use * /DELETE did not help, because Net Use (no arguments) did not show any network shares mapped to drives.

While researching this problem one clue was to Go to windows Services (services.msc) and restart the "Workstation" service.  (This worked solve this problem, by the way.)

BUT: When shutting down Microsoft's Workstation service, it warned that doing so would shutdown VMware Workstation Server service.
The machine experiencing the 1219 error did indeed have Workstation 12 Pro installed.  I had experimented with Shared VMs on this machine some months ago, but don't actually use this feature.  I turned the Shared Machine feature off in the Vmware Preferences and the problem has not re-occurred since.  (I disabled the VMware Workstation Server service in services.msc for good measure).

Note that I didn't actually have to be running VMware virtual machines, or have even launched VMware for the 1219 error to occur.  It would occur even after a reboot as soon as I tried to connect a share.  Disabling the Shared VM service solved this problem for me.

I post this here to help others, in the hopes that the search engines will find it. I didn't want to burn a support ticket on this issue, but it is clearly something VMware should look into.  Nothing in the VMWare settings addressed the server to which I was mapping drives, yet it was apparently interfering with  mapping shares via the Net Use command.

Windows 7, Workstation Pro 12,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CaShc0w
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It sounds interesting... I use windows file servers with Workstation shared VM on Windows 7 for nearly everyday, but I don't meet the issue. It may be a Workstation bug related to mapping Windows share from batch script.

Just a few questions:

Do you use "net use X: \\server\share_folder password /user:username" command in the batch script to map the share?

And how do you run the batch script? Double click it as current login user? Or call it by another program?

When the problem happens? Are you able to map the drive from Windows Explorer GUI?

Thanks!

0 Kudos