VMware Communities
kingboyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Suspended VM screenshot - stored where?

Hi. As you know, when a VM is suspended in VMWare Workstation a screenshot thumbnail is displayed and if you click on the thumbnail a full size screenshot is displayed. What I'd like to know, if anyone can help, is where that image is stored? (i.e. is it stored in the VM's folder and if so which file, is it stored in a temp folder on the host, or is it somehow generated on the fly using the VM's state files). Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't worry about the points (I do have enough Smiley Wink) I'd just like to ask you to mark the question as answered, so other users can benefit if they are looking for an answer to the same question.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

All data for the suspended state are stored in a .vmss file. For snapshots you will find the data in the .vmsn file.

see http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_learning_files_in_a_vm.html

André

kingboyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre. You are 100% confident that the suspended-state screenshot is stored in the .vmss file yes? (Just want to be sure as that doc, which I'd already looked at, doesn't appear to mention the screenshot and I'm asking for reasons of security so it's quite important Smiley Happy )

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The image of the suspended state is storred in the .vmss file and I'm 100% sure of that!

If you look at it with a Hex Editor you'll find PNG header and footed markers along with the fact that if you swap it out with one that shows a different suspended state, and rename it appropriately if taken from a different VM, if reflects the image in the swapped out file. Smiley Wink

kingboyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Woody!

0 Kudos
kingboyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I give Andre the points for first correct answer?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

His reply is already marked as Helpful Answer so unless he makes another reply in this thread so you can mark that one, there is nothing that can be done to change the current flags.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't worry about the points (I do have enough Smiley Wink) I'd just like to ask you to mark the question as answered, so other users can benefit if they are looking for an answer to the same question.

André

0 Kudos