VMware Communities
Andrew256
Contributor
Contributor

Suggestion - automerge snapshots + defragment with 1 button.

Hi, just a little suggestion I think would be very useful for any hypervisor software

Imagine a situation:

We made a snapshot of VM's state, then after awhile we did some changes to the VM and want to update this snapshot. My actions are:

1. Delete the current snapshot

2. (Optionally) Defragment virtual HDD to boost VM's performance

3. Create a new snapshot with the same name

A pretty common operation, no? Wouldn't it be logical to do it with a single press of a button?

Or, is there another way to do this more simply?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There are many different ways that Snapshots can be used besides your proposed use case scenario and I for one do not want anything automatically happening to the virtual hard disk and snapshot chain unless I have aggregate control over what will occur automatically with a single click of a button.  So AFAIC that's a big no vote for your suggestion since it's doubtful VMware will want to code all the possible use case scenarios of Snapshot usage and provide adequate controls within the Preferences GUI or Virtual Machine Settings GUI to implement this type of behavior.

0 Kudos
Andrew256
Contributor
Contributor

So the only way is to "update" the snapshot with the latest changes is to do how I described? There's no better way? I don't want to create new snapshot for every change because I will be cluttered with them

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Without getting into the API and programmatically using it, you have the Snapshot Manager GUI and you have the vmrun command.  You could use the latter using the deleteSnapshot and Snapshot commands in a scripted solution if there is something you do repetitively and link it to a Shortcut.  Have a look at: Using vmrun to Control Virtual Machines