VMware Communities
ChrisLowde
Contributor
Contributor

Suggestion: Add colour coded folders/tabs

I have a large number of VMs that I use for dev, testing, qa and demo purposes.  These machines are organised logically using folders in the Library, however it is sometimes difficult to verify which copy of a machine is running from the tabs at the top of the screen, especially when multiple copies of the same machine are running.

I have copies of the same machine under different folders, e.g for dev and test, and it is possible for them to run at the same time because my process for moving a machine from dev to test changes the VMnet that it is attached to.

I would like to make it easier to identify machines by assigning a colour to a folder in the library and having that colour reflected in the colour of the tab.  The colour of sub-folders should be inherited from the colour of the immediate  parent folder unless over ridden with an explicit colour.  I use up to four levels of sub-folders to identify universe (test, qa, demo, etc.), Company, AD Forest/Workgroup, AD domain.

The colour of each sub-folder should be reflected in the colour of the tab, so that a tab for a VM under four nested folders would have four coloured bands as background matching the colours of the folders.

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Reply
huxiang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Welcome to Workstation Community!

Thanks for the suggestion! I think it's a great idea, maybe we can also support customized folder icons. I'll submit a feature request for it.

Regards,

Shawn

0 Kudos