VMware Communities
Pertinax
Contributor
Contributor

Suddenly Linux guests (Ubuntu & Kubuntu) are starting up V-E-R-Y slowly

Hi:

I'm a relative newbie to VMware but I've run other software - Virtual PC - to allow guest OS's to run. I installed the latest VMware Workstation on my Win XP computer (a relatively fast eMachine AMD box) around two weeks ago. No problems at first, but a few days ago I "upgraded" to Windows ServicePack 3 for Win XP.

Now it takes around 30 MINUTES before either of the latest Ubuntu offerings (Ubuntu & Kubuntu) get themselves up and running sufficient to allow me to input my password. Once I put up with this horrid delay both clients seem to work fine until I restart them.

Does anyone have a clue? This is very frustrating!! I don't like merely leaving them on all the time...

While I'm here and you're reading this, does anyone know how I tell the Linux clients to see and work with my wheel mouse? I'm spoiled!! At present the wheel has no affect at all.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
buckwho
Contributor
Contributor

This may or may not help, but I thought I saw something similar with both VMware and my Cisco VPN client when I upgraded to SP1 on Windows Vista. I uninstalled VMware and VPN, reinstalled, and (IIRC) both problems were cleared up. I don't recall the VMware specifics but I know it cleared up my VPN "hang" problem. I'm still a VMware newbie (esp here on this forum) so take this suggestion with a grain of salt. But it's easy to try. Shutdown your VMs cleanly beforehand. Good luck.

Pertinax
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion. Funny, I recently started running a VPN server on the same machine to enable remote access to my Win XT box. So perhaps the combination of factors was responsible. Thus far I tried the VMwar "repair" functionality which came up when I tried to reinstall it over itself. It seemed to be working on a number of issues, so we'll see whether it works better tomorrow... this wa at my office and I ran out of time to work on the problem this afternoon. It would be nice if that fixes the issue. Thanks again!

-P

0 Kudos
Pertinax
Contributor
Contributor

This morning, having done the "repair problems" reinstall of VMware Workstation yesterday and uninstalling a VNC server I had been running today, I started up VMware and was able to run both Ubuntu and Kubuntu at full speed, without any problems. So thanks very much for your suggestion! It did the trick!

-P

Of course, after quiting VMware Workstation I was unable to remove unwanted messages from the Inbox and Junk folders in Eudora, my preferred email client. I had to restart my WinXP (SP3) host system and then all was well. I suppose I should run VMware Workstation, run the guest Linux OS's and see how Eudora acts when I again quit VMware. It's always something with Windows!!

p

0 Kudos