VMware Communities
markus_herbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Strange Problem to delete Snapshots

Hi,

I am using VMware Workstation v10.0.4 on a Windows 8.1 64-bit host.

When I try to delete a snapshot via the snapshot manager, the Console Screen freezes (get's never finised) and I'm not able to switch to any running guest running in VMware Workstation.

The VM is running - I can run an RDP Session and shut them down.

When the Guest ist down (here it is a Win7-64) then I get the following message: "Error deleting: The virtual machine needs to be powered on."

When the VM is powered off, there's no problem deleting the snapshot - the problem is only on running VM's (all sorts of guest-OS).

Can anyone help me about this problem?

I have also repaired and reinstalled VMware Workstation 10.0.4 - same Problem.

The Win8.1 host has any MS-Patches installed.

Thanks for any reply.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you see any related entries in the VM's vmware*.log files (in the VM's folder)?

This may not be relevant, but anyway: Do you have antivirus/endpoint protection installed on the host (which one)? Are *.vm* files excluded from being scanned?

André

0 Kudos
markus_herbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi André,

I stopped all antivirus services - same result.

Here ist my logfile: I started the VM, then try to delete the snapshot file -> freeze the console screen -> make an RDP session and shut down the VM.

Then I was able to delete the snapshot.

Message was edited by: a.p. - moved pasted log enties into a file

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure, but it might be related to the "Revert to Snapshot" option which is enabled for the VM (Settings -> Options -> Snapshots). Did you set this by purpose? What are you trying to achieve with this setting?

André

0 Kudos
markus_herbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi André,

same problem also with "revert to snapshot" switched off.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am trying to reproduce the issue, but currently no luck. Will you let me know the following?

1) By "the Console Screen freezes", did you mean the deleting snapshot progress bar was at foreground and never finished, which made you not able to switch to other VMs?

2) When the Console Screen freezes, was guest Window black screen or normal?

3) Was the snapshot a powered on or powered off one?

4) Was the snapshot taken at WS 10 or previous versions? Have you tried to take a fresh snapshot and delete again to see the issue persists?

5) Will you please attach ui log when the issue occurs? You can find UI log location from WS menu Help->About VMware Workstation->UI log file

Thank you markus_herbert!

0 Kudos
markus_herbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1) By "the Console Screen freezes", did you mean the deleting snapshot progress bar was at foreground and never finished, which made you not able to switch to other VMs?

> I went to the Snapshot Manager, klick on the snaptshot and then klick Delete -> Are you sure to delete snapshot "Golden Master"? -> Yes

> Then I see a circle running and nothing happens.

2) When the Console Screen freezes, was guest Window black screen or normal?

> The guest Windows looks like before klicking "Delete" but I'm not able to do anything, because the running circle is in the foreground.

> Also switching to another Guest Console Screen is impossible.

> The guest OS is running (in the background) because I'm able to make an RDP session and shut the VM down. I can see the shutdown process in the background of the screen.

> After the VM is Off I see an Error message: Error deleting: The virtual machine needs to be powered on.  Then I can press OK and now I'm able to use the screen again.

> The snapshot is already there and now I'm able to delete the snapshot (now I can see the progress bar). Also the screens of other VM's are now again accessable.

3) Was the snapshot a powered on or powered off one?

> The snapshot was taken during a powerd on VM

4) Was the snapshot taken at WS 10 or previous versions? Have you tried to take a fresh snapshot and delete again to see the issue persists?

> I did this snapshot with WS 10. I tried also a new fresh snapshot - same problem.

5) Will you please attach ui log when the issue occurs? You can find UI log location from WS menu Help->About VMware Workstation->UI log file

Message was edited by: a.p. - moved log entries to an attachment - Please use "Attach Files" rather than pasting them.

0 Kudos