VMware Communities
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Store pagefile on separate disk

I suppose this is more of a general Windows question than specific to Workstation, but have a question regarding the Windows pagefile.

We have a "master" Workstation Windows image that we pass out to our team on a regular basis and consists of a single virtual disk (C:\). To decrease the size of the image, I was wondering what the repercussions (if any) of the following scenario would be:

1. On the "master" image, create a second virtual disk (D:)
  2. Move the Windows pagefile to 😧 and then shrink the C: disk (we'll be able to gain 8GB that's currently being used by the pagefile)
  3. Pass out one more "full" copy of the VM image, which now includes 2 virtual disks
  4. For all future updates, only transfer the "C:" virtual disk to the team

So essentially when step 4 happens, Windows is going to boot up and "see" a pagefile that it wasn't using before. Anyone see an issue with this? Does this make sense?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here is what I do instead.  Configure a second virtual hard disk for the pagefile and for %TEMP% while making the second disk an independent non-persistent disk directly after partitioning/formatting but before you set the pagefile and %TEMP% to it.  Then always pass along the complete Virtual Machine!  By setting the second disk as independent non-persistent it's initial size is negligible and always reverts to an empty disk when the VM is shutdown however if/when necessary it survives a reboot or suspension and is not needlessly included when taking Snapshots.  IMO it's the professional way to do what you're wanting to do! Smiley Wink 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here is what I do instead.  Configure a second virtual hard disk for the pagefile and for %TEMP% while making the second disk an independent non-persistent disk directly after partitioning/formatting but before you set the pagefile and %TEMP% to it.  Then always pass along the complete Virtual Machine!  By setting the second disk as independent non-persistent it's initial size is negligible and always reverts to an empty disk when the VM is shutdown however if/when necessary it survives a reboot or suspension and is not needlessly included when taking Snapshots.  IMO it's the professional way to do what you're wanting to do! Smiley Wink 

0 Kudos
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Brilliant. You know, I've actually never used or have even familiarized myself with using independent non-persistent disks, but it sounds like I should read up on them as this seems to be the perfect solution for this.

Is it safe to assume you don't allocate all of the space up front?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have a look at, Selecting the Virtual Hard Disk Type for a Virtual Machine and Exclude a Virtual Disk from Snapshots.  (The later link points you to where the settings for the disk mode are.)

0 Kudos