VMware Communities
steiner71
Contributor
Contributor

Still trying VMware Workstation without OL Support?

I am trying to use VMware Workstation. I tried to install Windows XP on one of our 64-bit machines running Vista, but get only blue screen error message. It seems to say that something is wrong with the management of the USB. The problem is that we need to communicate by email rather than by phone, and there is no on line support without buying support - why should I buy support if I do not even know if I will buy the software? So far it does not work for me. May be I should wait till Parallels comes out with their 64-bit package?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to Workstation forum.

Well, it's hard to help without details. Workstation version? Exact BSOD message in the guest? Posting of the vmx file and vmware.log file may help with details of the virtual machine as well. VMware Tools installed in the guest yet?

0 Kudos
steiner71
Contributor
Contributor

OK, here are the details as far as I can relate them:

I am running Vista 64-bit Home Premium on an HP tx2 1020 computer. I want to add an XP system and, if possible, a pure DOS system as well. I failed already on the XP. The installation of VMware went without any problem, and installing the XP system seemed to have no problem, either. However, every time I try to bring up the XP, I get the attached blue-screen message before the XP even boots. That screen appears almost instantly after clicking the XP label. I installed XP from a CD that I used for booting my old e-machine. As I already said, the installation itself went without any problem.

Thank you for asking. My bigger concern though is, if I cannot get VM support at the front end while still trying the system, how bad will the support be after I buy?

Norbert

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert

I don't see your attached bluescreen.

Also the support on these forums is great Smiley Happy If you can give us more details I think that someone should be able to help ... how did you configure the virtual hardware for the XP virtual machine? # of virtual CPUs, hard disk type, amount of RAM etc etc It's not at all common in my experience to see a VM bluescreen during boot unless there is some misconfiguration somewhere ... which has only happened to me once (on an unsupported Operating System).

0 Kudos