Contributor
Contributor

Static IP assignment using only 1 network card possible?

Hello all,

Im looking for some help with vmware workstation. Currently I am using workstation to test an application which we normally run on ESXI with static ip's. Is there a way to assign a static address to each machine in workstation

allowing all vm's to share the same NIC connected to a network switch? Similar to how ESXI works with vswitches. I realize you can bridge adapters but I would rather not carry around 3 USB network cards just to allow all my vms to connect and using NAT would not allow me to keep the ip address scheme consistent.

I have attached a document that shows the connectivity im looking for.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Leadership
Leadership

You can have multiple VM's with bridged networking as long as each of them has it's own IP address (btw. your document shows duplicate addresses). As long as you don't need to connect to different subnets, or physical switches, one physical NIC is all you need.

André

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Good catch thanks!

So to make this happen would i just assign the adapter to the vmnet and then assign all the machines to the same vmnet?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Leadership
Leadership

The default installation creates "VMnet0" for Bridged networking with an automatic assignment to existing host NICs. If you have multiple network adapters you can select a dedicated NIC. In the VM's settings you will then select Bridged (which is VMnet0), or - in case you created additional bridged adapters - select the VMnet you want/need.

André

0 Kudos